• I dont know?

Votes: 3 14.3%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard different things. But just a little mudding and trails, and riding in some ruts, could this be bad for our mercedes???

·
Registered
W163/W115
357 Posts
Off-road means diffrent things for different people; for some people it's Moab; for some it's trail; for some it's out in the woods; for some it's gravel roads and parking lots at country clubs. Don't mention the last part to Jeep or LR folks.

If you go through trails like most commercials where you are kicking up mud, sod, grass and rock at high speed, you will damage something.

Or if you want a trailer queen, who am I to judge -- it's your money.

·
Registered
03 ML500
789 Posts
Our trucks were made for off-road, then got civilized. I've gone to the desert many times and never had suspension or body issues. I've had more electrical problems around town.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
If you take care to clean up properly after off-roading then no harm can be done. Also dont try fording DEEP water, bec that will leave you quite unhappy. Just kep it safe and keep it clean and you will see off-roading has no ill side effects (except the fact it's addicting! ... LOL).

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
we have a undeveloped steep road about a half mile long, after I posted in my thread titled "decided to hardcore offroad" I went down it and up it 3 or 4 times, its great because there are countless potholes filled with water about 6-12" in depth, its basically all mud, and many many ruts on the side not to mention it is like a bowl shaped like this \__/ I drove up on the sides, all up in the ivy, I even drove down into a foot rut and tested my tires and ETS/ESP not sure which one would use this to try and gain traction to get out of the foot rut, this undeveloped road gets very steep at the end and the ML handled it not problem

now the things I wish I didnt have in this instance, MUDFLAPS BAD IDEA they steal your height in inches before you hit the ground when I went into a rut it displaced my mudflap by only a half inch or so (I can fix it by hand) but once I heard the rubbing sound i had to back off, I don't want to take them off, my exhaust tip did JUST FINE though, it sits about 2 inches higher than my axle so that was not a problem

but i'm hooked on softcore offroading, basically anything where I really cant mess my car up, and is still fun to a 16 year old such as myself to do

my car was semi muddy on the bottom half, I sprayed it off when I got back to my house, sry no pics!

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
well i'm going to get a bunch of friends together from my school and we are going to go down to browns camp

suposedly one of the best offroading trails in the US, has levels for beginner, intermediate, and expert

I'm the only one with a ML but we have some xterras, a h2, a G55 lol, 4 runner, and some jeeps

I'll be offroading with the girls because i'm such a novice with such a low height [:D]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
BlackHawk - 2/7/2005 9:20 PM

well i'm going to get a bunch of friends together from my school and we are going to go down to browns camp

suposedly one of the best offroading trails in the US, has levels for beginner, intermediate, and expert

I'm the only one with a ML but we have some xterras, a h2, a G55 lol, 4 runner, and some jeeps

I'll be offroading with the girls because i'm such a novice with such a low height [:D]
Told ya it was addicting .. LOL

Be sure to take some pics. I'll be sure to do the same when I go to Ocala national forrest to run some trails. [;)]

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
i'll probably ask for some tips a little later, but if you have any for me let me know [:)]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
BlackHawk - 2/7/2005 11:17 PM

i'll probably ask for some tips a little later, but if you have any for me let me know [:)]
Well the best way to learn is hands on, but be sure to take things slowly so you can learn the limits of your ML. Make sure you are equipped with a recovery strap incase you get stuck, and some D-rings to attach them to the front right or rear right recovery point. I suggest a 3/4" minimum width for the D-rings. Lastly dont ford watter you dont walk through or cant see the bottom of first. That's really it, just knw the basics and read on here if you wish to learn more about off-roading in general and off-roading in the ML.

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.za/PC/FeatureSites/2004/mclassoffroad/default.htm

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
No problem guys ... happy trailing.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
haha my mudflaps suck

a completely diff note, i love how wide the ML tires are, I have the xterrains

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have Pirelli Scorpions STR's

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
BlackHawk - 2/8/2005 6:51 PM

haha my mudflaps suck

You have X-Terrains, as in ProComp X-Terrains or Michelins? [:p]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
chia - 2/8/2005 10:35 PM

BlackHawk - 2/8/2005 6:51 PM

haha my mudflaps suck

You have X-Terrains, as in ProComp X-Terrains or Michelins? [:p]
Are there pro comp X-terrains close to a 285-60-18 sizing ??

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
BlackHawk-

Just remember that the other guys you will be with will have tires with much thicker sidewalls.

Tom D, who organized the DV Challenge, had some friends who rented a Jeep Cherokee to run the thing. (Hilarious) They ripped the side out of at leat one tire and had to drop out. The tires were the stock street tires.

(Take note of the tires in his excellent slideshow he just posted.)

That is why something in the class of a BFG AT KO makes such a difference.

You right rear tire is the most likely to go. We have the tendancy to sideswipe things with it. Your sidewall is vulnerable to sharp rocks.

I can't wait for your pics...take a lot...of the cars and the "girls"...hehe...and have fun!!!

It is fun to be underestimated by "real jeepster types" Make us proud!

[8D]

·
Registered
03 ML500
789 Posts
"understimated by jeepers"? That's an understatement.
That same trip when I have my low gear problem, I encountered some jeepers and ask for directions for a trail, very difficult trail, and they look at me and my truck like you are not going there, and gave me directions and then added 'are you sure you want to go there? it's kind of risky' Ha, I made it thru, I even have video, and two months later ran the same trail backwards during the DV Challenge. It was fun.
Remember pics, girls inside and around truck, don't even try to post pics showing your truck only.
Besides those recomendations, get a quick fix tire repair kit, extra gas and water and food, and map.
Also a CB or two way radio to communicate with the rest of the group.
Remember inclination and angles of approach and departure. What else?? I'll remember.
Check Wolfgang's page.
Green, I remember the poor guys with the jeep. Is Tom organizing another event soon?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts