Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have never actually ran my slk for any amount of time with the hood up til the other day, and this is when i made a bad discovery.. i took the mass air sensor out and cleaned it then reinstalled it, while running the car i reved it up a bit and heard the worst noise in the world... a grinding/screetching noise from the super charger

the noise occurs at about 1800 rpm when the clutch is engaged.. and at first i thought maybe the bearing just went out in the clutch but i dont think this is the case upon further inspection...
i removed the supercharger and could not find any play in the bearings of the clutch, and i spun the clutch while both disengaged and engaged (when i connected a 12 volt power source) still no major noise at all.. so im thinking i just cant physically spin it fast enough to renenact its normal workng conditions.... the rotors seem to have some wear on them (the blades on the rotors are scarred up a little) so i wanted to post these pics and see if this is what the inside of the rotors should look like.. the car has 112k on it and it might just be time to replace the thing...

i priced a clutch unit and the benz shop wants 540 bucks for it.. they have a used blower there with clutch that is in good physical condition for 600 dollars with clutch but the guy couldnt tell me how many miles it had on it.. pretty sure i can get a reman for about 8-900 dollars but i wanted a couple of opinions first

the noise sounds just like the youtube clip of the slk clutch noise thats so popular... and the noise only occurs when the clutch is engaged and the supercharger is working so i am almost 100 percent sure it isnt an idler pulley or belt tensioner... any ideas?? heres the pics

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
..the car has 112k on it and it might just be time to replace the thing...
You have provided your best advice. Get a remanufactured unit with clutch and pulley installed. Not the cheapest, but easier to install and probably more reliable than alternatives.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 manual, original owner
227 Posts
Sadly, I had to replace mine at about 80,000 miles. I was told that was a pretty rare thing and there was nothing I could have done about it (in terms of maintenance).

--Larry

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
As you may have guessed, I replaced mine at just over 100K IIRC. Actually, it was the electric clutch that was the problem, but I elected to replace the whole thing as I intend to keep the car a while. 130K now and ten years old, but the car still gets compliments. Most express surprise when I tell them age and miles.

(Did you see "Grand Torino"? I tell my kids that will be with my SLK when I get to be that age!)

From what I've read, not just SLKs but Pontiacs etc., I don't think this is actually that uncommon for the Eaton superchargers at 100K miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts