Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
w108 & w107
117 Posts
Yes. looks like that. subframe mount looks like it needs changing too. might also need to invest in a wire brush and something to coat the rusted surfaces.

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
152 Posts
Yes. looks like that. subframe mount looks like it needs changing too. might also need to invest in a wire brush and something to coat the rusted surfaces.
Yes! The subframe mounts are totally worn and it seems that you steering box needs attention as well (it's leaking). These two things should be fixed soon. The bent control arm is not nice, but OK. You can fix it during the change of the SF mounts (together with the engine mounts - they are perfectly accessible during the subframe mounts change and probably worn as well).
Remember: After this all your car needs new wheel alignment
Regards Martin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! The subframe mounts are totally worn and it seems that you steering box needs attention as well (it's leaking). These two things should be fixed soon. The bent control arm is not nice, but OK. You can fix it during the change of the SF mounts (together with the engine mounts - they are perfectly accessible during the subframe mounts change and probably worn as well).
Regards Martin
View attachment 2621915
Yes I'm going to change the subframe bushings. That's just silicon spray I used so I can remove the rust not leaking fluid it was dry as a bone. The rust happened because of salt it was rust free before the winter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regards Martin
View attachment 2621915
Who makes good subframe bushings ?

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
152 Posts
Hi Ravi, you may get the best quality with the (incredible expensive) original parts, but because of the very ancient design (front axle design is from the /8-models createtd in the mid 60ties) it's just a question of time how long it will work.
If you buy new Merceds parts, it will work for about 5 years (plus or minus), if you buy cheap aftermarket parts, it will work für 2-4 years (plus or minus).
For me nothing of those was an otption, so I choose the cheapest (Febi) and made my own Polyurethane reeinforment parts. Its working perfect since more than 3 years.
Long thread but it's worth translating with google:
Regards Martin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ravi, you may get the best quality with the (incredible expensive) original parts, but because of the very ancient design (front axle design is from the /8-models createtd in the mid 60ties) it's just a question of time how long it will work.
If you buy new Merceds parts, it will work for about 5 years (plus or minus), if you buy cheap aftermarket parts, it will work für 2-4 years (plus or minus).
For me nothing of those was an otption, so I choose the cheapest (Febi) and made my own Polyurethane reeinforment parts. Its working perfect since more than 3 years.
Long thread but it's worth translating with google:
Regards Martin
I'm looking forward getting the part made by meyle. Also we have the same color sl I have a 560

1 - 7 of 7 Posts