Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some of you experts tell from this photo if I need a little rear suspension work? Click on the photo for a larger view.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,279 Posts
Hard to tell from just one picture, but I'd say no. I see no particular sagging on your car.

Take some measurements to put your mind at ease. Measure the clearance from the body to the ground just in front of the rear wheels and right behind the front wheels. Then measure the distance from the center of the wheels straight up to the lip of the wheel arch.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Axel. I'll take your advice. I bottom out on steeper changes in pavement height and also sometimes when 2 are riding in back. I think my car was made for perfect german roads...

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
If my wife would ask this I'd say; no honey you look just fine:D

gr J

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Alex--

The car's stance looks perfect to me-- I don't think you have any springs/bushing issues. The bottoming out might be due to worn/tired shocks though. I see that you have 84K on the SE, so the shocks are probably original, and nearing the end of their useful life. Do you see any evidence of leaking oil on the shocks? Are they Bilsteins?

Replacing shocks is a relatively easy DIY on these cars-- Many would recommend new Bilstein Comforts (stock system) or Bilstein HDs, depending on your driving style. You could also replace the rear subframe bushings and differential mount "while you're there," so to speak. Both would help with handling and ride height.

Dave

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave. The shocks are original. I bought the car from the original owner (a friend) and she gave me all the service records.

My analysis of the shocks has consisted of pushing down on the rear end. not very scientific i know, but the response is good. Next time I have the car in for an oil change i will probably replace them with new comforts.

Is it suggested to do all 4?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,279 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SEL
212 Posts
Looks about where mine is currently at, but I'm pretty sure the recent feeling as if I'm fishtailing around corners is a sure sign telling me something needs changing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts