Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back the gps antenna went out and the car was shown in the ocean just off the florida coast on the screen so I decided to pull out the cd from the navi till it was fixed. Finally got around to installing the navi last week and put the cd in and it gave me a error that it has a problem reading the disc. Since I was short on time I just let the car like that. I brought the car in for a oil change and to get a missing pillar piece replaced and picked it up yesterday.

Decided today to decipher the disc issue. I pulled it out and looked at it and it says Modular Control System north america us and canada. It has a small dvd rom logo on the disc and in the on the very bottom of all the text on the disc it says 2002-2. What is REALLY weird is that the car is a 2001 ml 430. I bought this car used back a few yrs ago and as far as I know I think the Navi was stock. With a 2001 my mcs should be cd-rom based no? If it really is cd-rom based then only someone at the dealership could have accidentally left the dvd rom in there while trying to mess with it.

How do I figure out which unit I have and how do I fix this. This is my wife's "whip" as she says and she is questioning my technical abilities. Please help gentlemen. thanks
Conrad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id say I got it around august 2003. I have come to believe that the unit is a dvd-rom because not only does the disc in there say dvd-rom but also when you put in the disc and turn on navi the disc error that occurs says please insert dvd. So is my dvd bad then? What navi discs can I purchase?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
You can get the latest DVD version from Navteq.com for ~$200. Someone mentioned that the dealers are now charging around $200 also. The dealers were charging around $375 - $400+ for the DVD discs. Navteq is the company that makes the Discs for Mercedes. Remember to selcet the DVD disc for a later model (like a 2005ML) not the year of your ML which will come up with "not available" since the CD versions are out of print.

Even though you did mention that you have a 2001 ML430 you may want to update your profile to make it easier for us to help you in the future. - Thanks.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts