Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember when I ever felt warm or cold air blowing out of the vents. At this time of year, I have temp set at 70, and if I put my hand up to the vents I can feel some warmth, but no current of air. Any suggestions or links as to how I approach diagnosing the problem? Could it be the blower motor? I need to consider DIY on this one, if possible.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,998 Posts
This is from the DIY section of the stickies.

Jon

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,734 Posts
In all likelihood, yes you have a bad blower. If you're not getting any air moving through the vents and you don't hear the blower fan activate then you either have a bad control module or a bad blower, with the blower being FAR more likely culprit.

It's extremely easy to replace the blower on these cars though, so have no fear. And you can get a high-quality aftermarket Nissens blower for about $150 through FCPEuro or other suppliers, so it's not a particularly expensive fix either. I did mine about two years ago and it took less than an hour.

Some might suggest changing the regulator first but I'd just skip that; the regulators cost almost $70 and they're included with the new motor anyway. Just get the Nissens unit and save yourself the trouble.

If you want to be 150% sure before replacement, put multimeter on the plug connecting the blower and set your fan speed to max. If you're seeing full voltage than you know for sure the motor must be bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts