Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have been having issues with my 2013 GL350 that was purchased in May. First let me say this i love this car but never thought i would have issues with a 74k vehicle.

My issue - The trunk does not open! This first happened one month into ownership in June, they fixed it then it happened again in July, they fixed it. The 3rd time it happened i took it to a different dealer, the fixed it and it broke again. It is now back at Mercedes and I just got a call saying that it is fixed. I have opened a complaint with MBUSA and have yet to hear back from them. Lemon law in NJ states that if an issue is not fixed after 3rd attempt car is considered a lemon. Has anyone else had this issue? What is the best way to handle this situation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

· Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,039 Posts
My comment...

Please understand the power "liftgate" requires you to also use the power function to "lower-gate" - your symptoms suggest someone may be manually lowering the tailgate which will cause you issues.

Keep the beat !

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This time they are replacing the rear SAM and hatch lock. I've refused to pick up the vehicle until MBUSA steps in.

We use the power function....we arent closing it manually. Even if we were the damn trunk should open on demand.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SAM is a control module...not really sure how it really works but he said there is one in the rear that controls the trunk etc.

Got a call from the dealer they told me that the rep from MBUSA is coming tomrrow to check out the car. I really hope they come up with some sort of solution. I have owned several MB's and this is the only one that I had an issue with.

· Registered
2014 GL350
31 Posts
I hope your lawyer discussed how much he's going to charge because once you hire a lawyer in a situation like this, you usually lose even if you end up winning because it will cost so much in legal fees. And it doesn't make any difference how right you may be. Unless your local lemon law says the manufacturer must pay the lawyer's fee, it will probably cost you far more than it's worth to get a lawyer involved. Even if MB immediately rolls over, you'll still be out a few thousand dollars and if they immediately roll over, they'd probably do it even if you didn't have a lawyer.

Maybe it makes sense to wait to see what MB has to say.

BTW, I'm not knocking lawyers. They charge for their services, an honorable and time honored concept. It's just that even on the low end, legal fees add up very quickly.

· Registered
2014 GL350
31 Posts
SAM is a control module...not really sure how it really works but he said there is one in the rear that controls the trunk etc.

Got a call from the dealer they told me that the rep from MBUSA is coming tomrrow to check out the car. I really hope they come up with some sort of solution. I have owned several MB's and this is the only one that I had an issue with.
So what did MB have to say? And did you end up doing the lawyer thing?

· Registered
Mercedes, Land Rover, Ferrari
20 Posts
In a Lemon Law case, the Manufacturer pays for the attorneys fees of the other party if they loose or settles. Most Lemon Law Attorneys takes on cases on a contingency plan. This happened to me with my Audi that was burning oil and had the transmission replaced 5 times in 5 months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.