Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum (I'm also female) and I'm curious if I blew a gasket!!?? No, not PMS either-haha.

In all seriousness, I was driving at 55mph, there was a loud "bang" then smoke everywhere, oil everywhere in the engine. The engine stopped and wouldn't restart. I had to have it towed home.

A neighbor said that "looks like a piston went through the crankcase."

Now, I'm not sure what that means but I'd definitely like some feedback. I love my little 190e 2.3 and I don't want to "part" with it or sell it if I can get it fixed.

Please, all feedback greatly appreciated!!

Have a blessed day.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
pics of the motor? sounds like the motor may be done.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6, 01 BMW X5, 03 BMW 330i, 73 MGB, 79 Triumph
146 Posts
A loud bang, smoke and oil are not good signs. A photo would help tremendously. Does it even crank anymore?

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,259 Posts
New to this forum (I'm also female) and I'm curious if I blew a gasket!!?? No, not PMS either-haha.

In all seriousness, I was driving at 55mph, there was a loud "bang" then smoke everywhere, oil everywhere in the engine. The engine stopped and wouldn't restart. I had to have it towed home.

A neighbor said that "looks like a piston went through the crankcase."

Now, I'm not sure what that means but I'd definitely like some feedback. I love my little 190e 2.3 and I don't want to "part" with it or sell it if I can get it fixed.

Please, all feedback greatly appreciated!!

Have a blessed day.
Hurry up post pictures,Jippi who is a most expert about this case .....:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
this can happen for just a few reasons..

the engine ran dry of oil

the engine ran dry of coolant and siezed a piston up

the motor hydroliched

or you went from 5th to 2nd instead of 4th and it over revved the engine causing the crank to break or a conecting rod to shear.

all the above can cause the latter. and i am affraid to say the engine is beyond repair. once a con rod punctures the engine block the engine is deemed scrap.

·
Registered
190D
344 Posts
this can happen for just a few reasons..

the motor hydroliched

What exactly is hydroliched ???

Anyway, NOT A BIG DEAL, happens all the time !

There are plenty of good used engines around
Call around your wrecking yards and ask for a good low mileage used 2.3 engine, most will even give you six months warranty

·
Registered
7 Posts
it is when more fluid than usual gets into the cylinder on a compression stroke the piston can then not compress the fluid that is in there causing untold stress on the crank and con rod, mostly it can blow the head off the block but in most cases it breaks something internally

hope this helps

·
Registered
190D
344 Posts
did a Google on hydroliched and nothing came up.

Is that your own word ?
and how does so much water get into the cylinder to cause this condition.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6, 01 BMW X5, 03 BMW 330i, 73 MGB, 79 Triumph
146 Posts
did a Google on hydroliched and nothing came up.

Is that your own word ?
and how does so much water get into the cylinder to cause this condition.
Just a guess, but I suspect me means hydroLOCK. :)
Pretty difficult to do if the OP is running a stock intake.

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
Depending on the condition/mileage of the rest of the car, you might be better off letting it go.
Nothing wrong with sliping in a used engine, but then your committing yourself to owning this thing for a few more years to make it worthwhile.
Of course soon after you put the new engine in, is when other things start going bad.
The dice are in your hands!

·
Registered
1985 190e 2.3 manual, 2007 GTI DSG
220 Posts
Just a guess, but I suspect me means hydroLOCK. :)
Pretty difficult to do if the OP is running a stock intake.
Not that difficult if the OP went through the same stream that my girlfriend told me was shallow...turned out it was deep enough to come over the fender. I am so lucky water didn't get in my intake. She got an earful.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Typical chick. Playing the damsel in distress so that a sucka comes along to help out and then you dont even get none.

And if you go into a spot where the water flows over your fender that is called a river!!! I ve seen fire trucks swept away in Las Vegas during flash floods and monster truck sized 4x4s get washed away as well when they thought they could ford a "stream".

·
Registered
92 190E 2.3 SOLD, 91 420SEL, 95 C280
488 Posts
Perhaps the oil pump failed and that was the result of the seized engine. I agree though that a lack of response and pics makes this a dead thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts