Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I'm not that familiar with the 240D's, but I don't think the large round part is the EGR.

Check underneath the air cleaner assembly, if I remember correctly the EGR for the 240D's is located underneath the air cleaner.

·
Registered
'82 240D 4-spd
226 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I'm not that familiar with the 240D's, but I don't think the large round part is the EGR.

Check underneath the air cleaner assembly, if I remember correctly the EGR for the 240D's is located underneath the air cleaner.
Indeed, the pictures are showing the air/oil separator. MBeige is right; if you look underneath the intake manifold, there is a tube that connects the intake and exhaust manifolds; the EGR valve is part of that tube assembly and is up close to the intake manifold (it's a vacuum diaphragm type).

Note that even if the vacuum line is disconnected, there's no guarantee that the valve is closed; it could be stuck in the open position. The only way to be sure you're not pumping exhaust into the intake is to remove the valve and tube and block off the ports. With some clever maneuvering and skinned knuckles, you can accomplish this with the intake/exhaust manifolds still in the car, but expect the bolts on the exhaust side to be jammed in tight (as with any other fastener that touches the exhaust manifold).

There are kits for sale on the internet that have the metal plates of the appropriate size for blocking off the ports. Most people here link to sales of those on eBay, so that might be a good place to start looking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts