Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.I'm so pissed off right now you can not even emagine.
2 weeks ago I did head gasket and motor mounts on my car.It ran really nice.I took it for a trip-really nice.A week ago I noticed that burning oil smell came back!?
I start to check and I notice small leak from valve cover.I called my mechanic he said to bring it for inspection.He found that couple bolts were not tight enough.He renewed the tred.Yesterday I went to pick it up.The car was perfect.When I took it back home I noticed that the engine is kinda underpowered.I stopped by at my friend's place.After couple hours of being at my friend's house I start the car and it starts to shake like crazy.I put in gear it dies.Start again-it shakes,the RPMS jump from 5 to 10.Looks like only 5 cylinders work.I start to go nuts.Decided not to drive it.
Today's morning I call the mechanic-he says I can drive but slowly.I did.At the shop we found out that the wiring harness is bad.Another 800$.I'm in shock.I say fu** it I'm gonna sell it.He found the bad wires and just renewed the tape there.Temporary fix.He convinces me to fix it-says the car is really good and I did good job on it but I'm so pissed off that cannot even think about fixing it.
BUT when I took it back home I noticed that transmission shifts so smooth like never before.I couldn't even FEEL when it shifts.The car drives completely dfferent now:smooth,responsive,solid.I called mechanic.He says it's possible because the car is not missing,the torque and rpms all lined up now.
So the mozerfukker drives really good now-like completly different car.
And I have a question: Is it worth to fix it and continue to own the car or just sell it?

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
my friend it's like we are having the exact same day.

Today I start my car, put it in gear it die's. I check everything and it's working only on 4 cyl's. 2 of the wire's are not even throwing out electricity. Therefore it's now time to replace that harness. I knew long time ago I had to replace it but now the time has come. I love my car and I intent on driving it for a long time so I want to replace the harness. I'm shopping around now to see where the cheapest one I can find.

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
208 Posts
FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!

Look at it this way, if you sell it now, you'll probably make back the money you've spent so far to fix it. Maybe a little more, maybe even a little less. So, if you then buy another car, it's as if you gave away your Benz and went out and bought something else.

Two weeks ago, before you started the repairs, if I had said to you hey - instead of fixing it, just give it to me for free and go buy a new car - you'd pop me in the chin for being stupid.

The repairs you have done (and the one you are going to do) are the "big ones". Yourcar will last another 200,000 miles with this work done. You'd be crazy to sell it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yea I agree^.

Once we both change our engine harness'es I believe these cars will treat us good.
I hope..

But I've been driving mine for 2 years now haven't touched a thing. And I'm looking forward to replacing the harness to see the outcome in performance.

·
Registered
1996 MB C280
371 Posts
mgw is right, sometimes I HATE my car and think it's the worst thing on the face of the plannet, but then I get in some other car and I remember how much I love my car and why it's worth having and spending money on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sad thing is the harness looks really good everywhere except under the cover.It looks so good that the mechanic thought it's been changed already.But as soon as he cut it with a blade it started to fall apart.And it's only 2 short freaking wires.Is it possible to retape all wires under the cover or it is neccessary to replace the harness anyway?I mean it still pisses me off to replace whole thing just because of 1 inch of a bad spot.
Hey Vili, can you please let me know if you find a good deal on the harness?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
russoturristo said:
The sad thing is the harness looks really good everywhere except under the cover.It looks so good that the mechanic thought it's been changed already.But as soon as he cut it with a blade it started to fall apart.And it's only 2 short freaking wires.Is it possible to retape all wires under the cover or it is neccessary to replace the harness anyway?I mean it still pisses me off to replace whole thing just because of 1 inch of a bad spot.
Hey Vili, can you please let me know if you find a good deal on the harness?

Yea mine doesn't look that bad either untill I take the skin off, the wire coating just split into a thousand pieces. I only hit the 105K mark the other day I feel like my car deserve's a new wire transplant.

And my dealer quoted me today for 1100 CAD for the harness, which is about the same as 950 mark in the US. I spent an hour today going through old posts on the harness and it seems like http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/ is the safest place to get one. But I'll still look around, If I find something for a better price, I'll let ya know. But I'll give Phil a call tomorrow.

Vili

·
Registered
1995 E320, 1961 220Sb
73 Posts
from what i have seen and heard the wiring harness is the main weak point in the car. if you replace it you shouldn't have many more propblems. this is a common problem. i say fix it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Fix it. You are already feeling what a new harness will do. Its amazing how much that harness relates to drivabilty.

·
Registered
2001 E320, 'Lord Vader'
186 Posts
Good luck guys, another thought...

Hi Guys,
Been reading about your troubles with the wiring harnesses, do you think it would be possible to repair the wires that are flaking and then put something that:

a) would fit between the harness and whatever it's shorting out against
b) would be burn-proof (to prevent fires and also more damage to the harness)
c) would be non-conductive (to prevent any more shorting)

I don't know what the area you're talking about looks like so I don't even know if my thought makes sense but if you could figure something like that out you'd save quite a bit of money and avoid having to replace the darn thing in the first place! Maybe a piece of something silicone or something, I don't know.

Anyway, good luck with the repairs, hope the parts Gods are on your side!

Walter

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
208 Posts
The source of the wiring harness problem is that the plastic (or is it rubber?) housing on the ignition wiring harness is exposed to a lot of engine heat due to it's position under it's cover. It looks clean, but it wreaks havoc with the wires. I think I heard that the housings were crap and that's the main problem with it, but I'm not sure.
I was afraid that I was going to discover this problem when I was having some ignition problems, but luckily it was just the plugs and plug wires. Anyway - I asked my favorite expert about patching the wiring harness if it was the problem and he said that it would be a temporary fix for the shorting problem (shorts in the ignition harness can kill your ignition ecu), but that the conduction in the harness would still suck and the car would not run at 100%.
I don't know much about silicone coating a cracked harness, but it seems to me like something to just go ahead and pay for the replacement. I've heard that the replacement harness doesn't have the same problems as the original.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Experts

"The conduction in the harness will still suck" - he's an expert? Perhaps you'd like him to decode this into English

Harnesses are made of wire. Cut out & replace the bad bits. Or buy a new one

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
208 Posts
That was my interpretation of what I remember was the jist of what he told me. And, yes he is an expert - he works for MB. Maybe you should call them up and tell them all about your genius plan of cutting and splicing as an alternative to replacement. I'm sure they'll be rather impressed.

What's next, duct tape as an alternative to new upholstery?

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
208 Posts
I dug through my posts in another forum and found his exact response, maybe this one is technical enough for you:

"yes you can [patch the harness with electrical tape] to avoid shorting, but the main thing was that it is getting high resistance already."

Better?

·
Registered
W220
174 Posts
vili1982 said:
Yea mine doesn't look that bad either untill I take the skin off, the wire coating just split into a thousand pieces. I only hit the 105K mark the other day I feel like my car deserve's a new wire transplant.

And my dealer quoted me today for 1100 CAD for the harness, which is about the same as 950 mark in the US. I spent an hour today going through old posts on the harness and it seems like http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/ is the safest place to get one. But I'll still look around, If I find something for a better price, I'll let ya know. But I'll give Phil a call tomorrow.

Vili
Hey Vili, long time no talk....I had to replace the whole wirinig harness as well on our E300D!!
It cost me like 650 bucks at a MB stealership.. i guess for the M104 the harness is a little more $$

THe thing was that the battery acid from the OE battery spilled on the harness and simply killed it!!! I had to get a new one...900 bucks later the E300D is putting along again

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
190_2.6 said:
Hey Vili, long time no talk....I had to replace the whole wirinig harness as well on our E300D!!
It cost me like 650 bucks at a MB stealership.. i guess for the M104 the harness is a little more $$

THe thing was that the battery acid from the OE battery spilled on the harness and simply killed it!!! I had to get a new one...900 bucks later the E300D is putting along again
Hey whats up buddy!

Yea I called my dealer today the best price they can giv eme is 1250, I'm sure I can do better than that, and Phil at mercedestech.com quoted me at 950 but he will only ship to the boarder, as I wouldhave to pick it up., which doesn't sound like a bad deal, so, so far my best price is 950. I will continue to bargain around, in the mean time the car will sleep I dont want it running on 4 cyl's like it wants to die or something, like stated it could screw up the ecu and other shit.

How's the Diesel running, I want one. With our high gas prices approaching I will need one.

·
Registered
91 black 300E (from college days), 01 Vette, 01 Porsche 911, 08 Porsche 911, Lincoln Navigator
442 Posts
Fix it! I owned my car for the past 16 years. Around 100,000 miles, I put in thousands and thousands of dollars replacing parts here and there. But after most parts were replaced, no major breakdown for a long time.

Good luck, buddy.

·
Registered
W220
174 Posts
vili1982 said:
Hey whats up buddy!

Yea I called my dealer today the best price they can giv eme is 1250, I'm sure I can do better than that, and Phil at mercedestech.com quoted me at 950 but he will only ship to the boarder, as I wouldhave to pick it up., which doesn't sound like a bad deal, so, so far my best price is 950. I will continue to bargain around, in the mean time the car will sleep I dont want it running on 4 cyl's like it wants to die or something, like stated it could screw up the ecu and other shit.

How's the Diesel running, I want one. With our high gas prices approaching I will need one.
Hey Vili,

Im sure you can get the harness for less $$. My mech tired splicing the wires where the acid spilled but there were too many wires in the bunch. I guess you have to get a whole new harness as well which will last. Have you tired any of the aftermarket part sources?

THe diesel has an easy life..my mom drives it like 10km/day and I take it for a "tune up" on the highway every week or so. I still run the winters, i havent had the time to put summer tires back on..

The damn diesel is about 98cents/L where I live and gas went down a little..I have paying more for diesel than regular...as for fuel milage...city consumption is about 8.8 - 9 L/100 km one the weather got warmer...

WEll good luck with your E320..get that damn harness whenever $ permits and get the beauty ready for summer cruising....

·
Registered
E36 AMG 1995
123 Posts
I had this same problem with my W124 a few years ago. The head gasket was replaced and within weeks the wiring harness needed doing. It was not the fault of the mechanic . The harness insulation was coming off. In my case it damaged the ECU and this caused a fortune ( Over $2000 for the part)

I stuck with the car and I have enjoyed owning it although I am now looking for an estate version or a well specified diesel estate because of space.

If you like the car I say get it repaired as my experience tends to show these cars have very few weak areas and well maintained ones go on forever.

My Dads E300 did 250,000 by the time he sold it and he only replaced the water pump !

·
Registered
91 black 300E (from college days), 01 Vette, 01 Porsche 911, 08 Porsche 911, Lincoln Navigator
442 Posts
Did you fix it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts