Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 C280 from a private seller. I noticed that the temp gauge always sits above 80 degrees. Is this normal? I have a 94 e320 and it always sits slightly below the 80 degree mark no matter how hot or cold it is. I took it to a couple mechanics one said its normal, the other says its running hot. During idle, I notice the gauge moves up closer too 100 and while driving or it goes back sitting slightly above 80. I had taken the car to flush the radiator and replaced the engine fan, no help. Where does your temp gauge sits? Note the outside temperature reading is 53 degrees on the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
99' C43 AMG "T Rex", Ultima Sports Can-Am (in build)
233 Posts
Both my C240T (V6) and C43 run with temperature reading in that position, sometimes a bit higher in heavy slow moving traffic and hot weather conditions. Your E320 is running too cool. Get the thermostat changed (sticking open) :thumbsup:

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
The C is normal and the E is not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a C280 and the temperature goes above the 80 degree mark and above the line before 120. Should I change the thermostat to a cooler thermostat

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I have a C280 and the temperature goes above the 80 degree mark and above the line before 120. Should I change the thermostat to a cooler thermostat
When the car is at 120, put your hand on the top hose and feel the temp and then do the same with the bottom hose, if the temp between the two feels different the change the thermostat and try again, but this may be a blocked radiator, do you always use coolant or simply put water in the cooling system?

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Temp range in photo is absolutely normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've wondered this a lot also. To be completely honest, since I've owned my C36, a little over 6 months, my temp gauge has always sat right under 100. If I'm on the freeway it will go down a little towards 80. But it always sits at around 90-95 and never budges above that regardless of the temp outside. (115 degree Vegas summers).

95 degrees Celsius is about 203 degrees Fahrenheit, so that definitely isn't too hot. My 500hp IS300 sits at 200 degrees F all day and gets up to 210 in the summer, with a similar engine (inline 6).

My buddies C36 sits under 80C all day and that seems odd to me. I would think that the engine's operating temp should be hotter than 165F degrees, but who knows.

·
Registered
99' C43 AMG "T Rex", Ultima Sports Can-Am (in build)
233 Posts
I've wondered this a lot also. To be completely honest, since I've owned my C36, a little over 6 months, my temp gauge has always sat right under 100. If I'm on the freeway it will go down a little towards 80. But it always sits at around 90-95 and never budges above that regardless of the temp outside. (115 degree Vegas summers).

95 degrees Celsius is about 203 degrees Fahrenheit, so that definitely isn't too hot. My 500hp IS300 sits at 200 degrees F all day and gets up to 210 in the summer, with a similar engine (inline 6).

My buddies C36 sits under 80C all day and that seems odd to me. I would think that the engine's operating temp should be hotter than 165F degrees, but who knows.
I think your 36 is running a little too high. Dangerous on the long run for the head gasket. Have you checked:
- thermostat opening fully
- viscous fan operating and connecting
- electric fans

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think your 36 is running a little too high. Dangerous on the long run for the head gasket. Have you checked:
- thermostat opening fully
- viscous fan operating and connecting
- electric fans
I beg to differ. I will check my low speed fan fuse in the fuse/ecu box on the passenger side under the hood, but I have no reason to believe its blown.

Having your temp vary (say it sits at 85 in traffic but drops to 70 on the freeway) a lot is more likely to be dangerous in the long run for the head gasket. Cooling systems are designed to try and hold the coolant temperature exactly where it needs to be. (Say 90c for example) It should never be changing much while driving.

After doing some research, 97 c280s run at 85-95 normally. 98 and newer models do run a little cooler because of a change in the fan control unit.

I'm going to replace the thermostat and do a cooling system flush because my c36 does have a 175k miles and I'm sure it needs done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts