Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently bought a w220 S500 4matic. The guy that sold it to me said he had bought a new battery, but the day I got the car, I started getting strange electrical problems, that include slow-ish starting of the engine and interior lights flickering. The battery he had put in is a 92Ah 12V battery, which from what I've read is not enough to feed all the electrics. Does this problem come solely from my battery or could it be an alternator problem or an electrical leakage maybe?
Cheers.

·
W220 Moderator
5,539 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum :)

100% agree with @tusabes , due to it's low capacity that battery will go low on Voltage whilst Cranking, and therefore cause all kinds of problems.

Rectify it sooner rather than later, as voltage drops can and do cause components to burn out, Volts go down Amps go up :wink

HTH,

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You might want to check with the nearest dealer after checking all other sources. Reports here say that the dealer often will have very competitive prices on the proper battery - and that term, "proper battery" is very, very important.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You might want to check with the nearest dealer after checking all other sources. Reports here say that the dealer often will have very competitive prices on the proper battery - and that term, "proper battery" is very, very important.
That’s been my experience in the US.

Not sure what options exist in Bulgaria, but you know for certain that the MB battery will meet specifications.

·
W220 Moderator
5,539 Posts
Hi,

Also worth mentioning bearing in mind the above comments .....................

An aftermarket decent Battery will cost around 65% of MB Battery cost, and can be expected to last 3 to 5 years, an MB Battery on the other hand will last 8 to 10 years ++++ .......................

Now who's Batteries are expensive ??? :wink

HTH,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try this..

Start the car, turn on the AC and hold down the REST button until a menu appears where it normally shows the air information. Then using the left temperature control, go to the 24th menu which will show the voltage of the alternator. It should be around 13.5-14.1. If its any lower, it could mean the alternator is faulty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Sacchin
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing