Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'91 420SEL '80 300TD
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned this wagon since new. It has 135K miles and has been mechanically well maintained. It is now a "second car" that my son uses when he needs it. Runs good, but need new hydrolic pump for rear suspension. The body has some serious rust issues. $3000 is the estimate I got for rust repair and a repaint. The issue is more cosmetic than operational. I probably can buy a later model used sedan or wagon for 3-4K.
My choices:
1. let body be, just repair mechanics.
2. repaint and repair body.
3. buy a newer model used Merc. or other car.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,919 Posts
well seeing as you have owned the car since new i would go ahead and fix it up... you know everything that the car has been through in its 26 years and its doubtful that you fill find another with the documented history that yours has

·
Registered
'82 380 SL, '82 300TD, '85 500SEC
194 Posts
Hi Jeepers...I can't begin to tell you whether it's worth it, but here are some considerations:
1. $3000 may seem like a lot of money but painting a car these days can cost much more...and that's not considering the "serious" rust repair issues you have. I'd be worried the estimate is actually low...or won't be the quality you desire.
2. After your son is tired of driving the 'horsepowermobile' and his girlfriend becomes his wife...are you going to keep the car for yourself? If not...you may want to take the position of never spending another dime on the car and investing the $3000 for that cruise you should take with your wife.
3. The hydraulic pump...I just removed the working pump from my 1985 500SEC because I do not want the self-levelling system. You are welcome to buy my used pump for a fraction of the new pump price to see if it resolves your suspension issue. Then the wagon would be perfect mechanically. PM me if you are interested.
4. With all that history, I lean towards keeping the car, if you need it....If you fix it up and paint it and then sell it, you will never get back much if any of those dollars you spend from this point forward.

·
Registered
'91 420SEL '80 300TD
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mechanic advised me to fix it up. He says the car is in good shape mechanically except for the pump. I must admit I would love to see it all bright and shiny again. The body style is classic and it holds a lot of cargo. I couldn't get a better car for $3k.
Thanks guys. Dave, I am interested in your pump. I PMd you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts