Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2001 E320, 2004 S430
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new task came up, I have to replace the coolant and a leaky hose (from the engine to the radiator, big hose) on a 1999 E320. It appears to me that MB coolant is 100% concentration and I need to add 50% (distilled) water.

I thought that I'd better ask the experts on this forum before I do it.

Also, it seems that since this hose will be replaced, it will automatically drain the coolant from the engine and there is no need to open up the engine drain plug from the bottom of the engine.

Could the experts on this forum confirm this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
You are correct.

The problem with adding diluted coolant is residual water left from flushing.

To get as much tap water out as possible, I would fill with distilled water and run the engine for a few minutes. Drain that, add the required amount of pure antifreeze to get the mix you want, and top up with more distilled water.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2001 E320, 2004 S430
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Matt,

Thanks.

It sounds like a good suggestion to run distilled water first. I will do so.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,473 Posts
The truth is that you can't drain any car fluid even close to 100%. I think getting close to 90% would be big success. Think heater core, windshield fluid warmer etc.
Flushing with distillate water doesn't cost much, but unless you had some dirt in the coolant, there this might be overkill. According to latest data MB coolant has 15 years life span.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
If you really want to drain as much coolant as possible (even if you're filling with distilled to run and drain again), hit the block plugs. The level of the lower hose is above those. And don't forget to check the bottle on the fender to make sure it's drained out. ;)

And just as a friendly reminder...if you do drain and then refill with distilled to try and get out more coolant, the stuff you drain out will still have enough coolant in it so that it should be disposed of properly: please don't just pour it down the drain or in the gutter.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts