Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can have either car..a 55 in a few days, or a 430 in a few weeks, so the question is, is the 55 really worth it? is it that much better than the 430? will i really be able to utilize all the extra power on a day to day basis? or is the 430 just as satisfying? it would be great if i could get some insight..ive test driven a 55, and its amazing, but have never driven a 430...thanks<br>
<br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've driven both cars, and i currently have a 430, the 55 is much faster and handles alot better but the handeling is somthing like a 500 dollar upgrade on the 430. I personally dont think the clk55 is worth the money. I think if you are going to spend 70k you should get an M5 its 4 doors, its faster and i personally think its more luxorious and it probablly has a better resale value then the clk55. When motor trend compared the clk55, M5, corvette, and jaguar supercharched the M5 came up as a top performer. It brakes better then all the cars, and is much faster.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: is it worth the extra money for the 55 over the 430?

What would the $500 handling upgrade be? Sounds too inexpensive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$500 is probably too cheap, but $1000 would get you close...

For $1000 you could get a set of new shocks, springs, and anti-sway bars and have them installed with an alignment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, Right!

Yeah, that will make it just like a 55! I used to have a 430 and now have a 55. Yes, it is quite a bit more for the 55, but if you can afford the upgrade the cost is well worth it as the 55 is a completely different and much better driving experience. I am not knocking the 430 as I really liked mine a lot, but the 55 is in a completely different class both in handling and performance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steven was talking handling...

I think that a $1000 upgrade to a 430 will get you REALLY close if not better than the 55's handling. You have to remember that the 55's suspension is still tuned for some minimum level of comfort and you don't have to retain that level.<br> <br> Of course, a $1000 suspension upgrade won't do anything for acceleration and braking, and making the change will actually devalue the car, but for the stated objective, it will work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Worth it...

You'll have to drive it to see if it's worth it, but here's something to mull over:<br> <br> The CLK55 is the most expensive of all the AMG cars for what you get.<br> <br> AMG cars typically have AMG engine/exhaust, AMG suspension, AMG brakes, AMG interior, and AMG body kit/wheels, plus a full complement of options at a price that is about $18K higher than than the base price of the next lower model in the lineup.<br> <br> This works for the C36, C43, E55, and S55, but there are exceptions (e.g., the CL55, which doesn't have any suspension upgrades, and the ML55, which has extra drive train/suspension upgrades) and they are priced accordingly. However, the CLK55 is priced at $18K higher than the CLK430, but the CLK430 already has AMG styling/wheels. So the CLK55 is overpriced by about $4,500 (approx cost of Sport package for the '02 CLK) when compared to every other AMG models.<br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: $500 is probably too cheap, but $1000 would get you close...

Hai Brian do you have any Idea where I can get all of those stuff (spring,shock,antisway bar)for a good deal? I live in Bay Area

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think Eibach and H&R both have kits for the CLK...

You should be able to locate a dealer near you by asking on their websites.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: is it worth the extra money for the 55 over the 430?

SAY THAT YOU PAID 500 FOR A SUSPENSION UPGRADE(WHICH IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO A REASONABLE ESTIMATE IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CARS), WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE RESALE VALUE OF A 55 IS SO MUCH HIGHER THAN A 430, EVEN WITH THIS 'SUPER SUSPENSION'. GET A CLUE BUDDY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brabus upgrade

Well Brabus will upgrade your CLK430's suspension, wheels, and brakes for a price of about 7000 dollars which they say will increase the handling of the CLK430 to that of the CLK55..... <br> <br> -Chris Y.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts