Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz forever. :)
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a 1990 300e 3.0 non-4matic with a blown engine \ THe car has over 200,000 miles. I found an engine and transmission for 1,800 with 5,000 miles on it. Is this car worth putting it in? THe body is in good shape.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, tentguy, welcome to the forum!

I'll chip in with the "GO FOR IT" group. I certainly would. (You mentioned the body is good, if the rest of the car isn't completely trashed it's definitely worth the cost to put in the engine/transmission.)

Plus we want you to stay, and this is a great ticket in, I love the W124.

Take care and enjoy the ride (after you get it fixed!),
Greg

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
It sounds like you'd be into one of the best cars in the world for well under $3000.

With a 5000 mile engine/trans, this is a win win scenario...as long as the car is in very good shape.

G

·
Just Do It!

The I6-300 is a very well designed engine. Great power and rev for the weight, which helps the balance in the car, and its got good economy. I know, it's sensational in my SL.

Andrew

·
Registered
1990 300E, 2002 ML500
1,379 Posts
I wonder what made the engine blow. I'm also wondering how an engine and transmission with only 5,000 miles is still around. Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning you, I am simply curious. The M103 engine, the engine in the 300E, is a good reliable iron block with a love for higher rev ranges. Speaking if which, they just fixed the potholes on my main road and the studded tires should come off next week, so I should be smiling very much soon.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Might want to have someone put it on a rack and check out the chassis and front end for problems. After 200,000 miles the rubber bits may have had it and check the axle assembly as well.

My M103 has been smooth and reliable.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz forever. :)
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I found it by a stroke of luck. This guy was going to build a kit car and put this engine in it, then sold the frame before he could build it. The engine was out of a wrecked car that was apparently driven (not very much) by an old lady. It looks really good, it's been in the crate, no rust, turns over fine and comes with the drive shafts to boot. I'm going to buy it today. My only concern is this: it's been sitting for 6 yrs in that crate. Theres no way to tell if the trans is frozen or something. The trans is in a seperate crate. I understand the old trans used to have leather seals? This has neoprene, so I hope they're oK. THis is my first Mercedes engine change, so I'm getting as much info as I can on all the little things about these cool cars. This is a great forum!

I'm in Oregon, so we're having fun still playing in the mud up here.

·
Registered
91 300CE, 00 SL500
26 Posts
Getting a good engine for that cost, assuming the body is in good shape, I don't think that you can go wrong. Yes, the rubber mounts and other bits might be in need of a replacement because of the mileage(this would run you somewhere between $500 and $1,000 and you might need a muffler system), but you should still end up with a rock-solid car you can drive for many years for quite a modest cost. By way of a comparison, the last engine I saw, without a transmission, was about C$2,500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts