Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone comment on the sound quality of Becker amps?

I assume Becker amps are made by the Becker company? Does anyone know how they compare to Rockford Fosgate, Soundstream, Orion, Alpine etc? Becker makes a 60Wx4 that I wanted to put in my C-class (so I can keep the fiber optic changer and head unit).<br> Thanks,<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: What year/model car are you referring to? (car that is)

We were going to replace the current amp in the C-class with a higher power Becker amp from<br> www.beckerautosound.com... any opinions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because the C-class uses fiber optic preamp cabling...

So to keep the Command head unit, I need to find amps that have the fiber optic input common to MB C and S class (the fiber optic is unfortunate in a lot of ways). I only know of Becker amps that are compatible - not sure if there are any others out there...<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not necessarily....the signal from the amplifier to the speakers is good old analog

If you tap into the chain between the speakers and amplifier, you can amplify the signal that way. I still dont understand why you want to replace your amplifiers. Are you getting better speakers? Or do you just want to?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Want to use preamp signals (fiber optic); don't want to use a new amp as a booster

The C-class comes with one low-wattage amp. I will need much better amps to drive the Boston Acoustics tweeters/mids and Rockford Fosgate subs that I will put in. The 10-speaker Bose system sounds absolutely aweful in comparison to my current system in my other car. I can add a large Phoenix Gold amp to the speaker outputs of the Bose amp but then the amp that I add is only as good as the upstream components - when the Bose amp distorts, the Phoenix Gold will too since it receives the distorted signal. The Phoenix Gold amp would be used as a 'booster' then. Not the best way to do it. Preamp signals (or in this case fiber optic) is the only way to get good sound. 'Audiophile' sound that is :)<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phoenix Gold vs. Becker amps...

Joe, you are probably quite correct on the sound quality differences in that the Phoenix Gold will sound better than the Becker amps, however, I have to stick with fiber optic 'preamp' cabling since I want to keep the Command head unit in the C-class. Also, I need to pull out that Bose amp since it's of very low quality. I think that even if I cascase a very high quality amp to that Bose at the speaker-level outputs, I will certainly get higher volume, but the same distortion (the Bose amp will still distort at half volume and pass that onto the Phoenix Gold amp). If I could somehow convert fiber optic to true preamp cabling (not downconverting the voltage level) - or if the car's head unit came with preamp RCA connections, that would be a different story... What to do???<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it seems like you are in a bind....id experiment with it...

But also I think the Bose amp would sound better than the Becker amplifier...because Bose is an 'upgrade' to the factory stereo

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Becker amps...

Joe, have you heard any of the Becker amps? Please let me know if you have so I can make a better decision. The large Becker amp Energy 350 (not on web site yet) would give me 60Wx4 and they have another amp that I may use to the subs that is 300Wx1. Not sure what the Bose amp specs are - just know it sounds rather aweful :) See www.beckerautosound.com and check out their amps. Let me know what you think!<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ouch...

if you come across any audio reviews of Becker audio let me know! I think the Blaupunkt Command head unit along with the Alpine CD changer should be a good combo to remain in the car. Does anyone else make fiber optic amps that you know of for comparison?<br> thx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts