Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,331 Posts
So if idiot hits me (God Forbid) and there's costly damage and their insurance will take responsibility, their insurance can total my car?

If this is so can't I just sue the driver for the repair money? I don't think it is fair at all to potentially lose ownership an r129 and have it's title become salvage over something like getting rear ended not too severely by some incompetent jerk...

·
Registered
'96 SL 500
81 Posts
So if idiot hits me (God Forbid) and there's costly damage and their insurance will take responsibility, their insurance can total my car?
I would think, you make a claim with your insurer. Your insurance does whatever it should do under what you agreed with them (repair, replace, or payment). Your insurance goes to the other drivers insurance company (or the individual) to then claim the money off them.

I guess that is why there are some people with cars who treasure them in their garage and rarely drive them. At least they won't get hurt!

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2001 S600, 2004 E320
854 Posts
Yes. And you’ll have no say on that decision. You might have some room to negotiate how much money they will pay… if you’re tough negotiator, because they’ll play hard ball.

I’ve been there, it’s not pretty… you might think you own a classic, insurance thinks they need to reimburse you for 20-year old piece of junk.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '92 300TE wagon, '14 E350 wagon, '01 MDX, '07 MDX
16 Posts
Hello, so i had my sl in one repair shop for maintenance and engine tunning an the guy crashed it pretty badly in 200km/h with rollovers, my question is is this still repairable? I love this car so much and motor seems in a good shape with no damage :( He survives with just brokend hand and lost finger only because of his stupidity, passanger was without any injury, this just proves r129 are the safest. But can it be repaired?

View attachment 2711716

View attachment 2711717

View attachment 2711718
View attachment 2711719
View attachment 2711720
No. Much cheaper to buy another one. These are not expensive now in the US. Just strip out whatever useable parts that you like on the wreck & save them for your replacement car. Plus, even if this car is repairable, would you still want to drive a car that has been wrecked? Not sure about its overall integrity after a wreck like this.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts