Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

from the diagram below the recirculating pump supplies heated coolant for cabin heating and for heating up windshield water.

Because of a leak in this circuit leading to loss of coolant I want to electrically shut down the recirculating pump temporarily until the leak is fixed.

I understand that there will be no heated windshield water and no heat for the cabin, which I can live with.

The main question is whether the engine cooling is affected causing damage to the engine itself?

Thanks for bearing with a possibly dumb question but I was goofy enough to break a connecting pipe of the above circuit (part #23)!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
The auxiliary pump is not required for engine cooling. It is also not strictly required for the cabin heat, as the engine water pump will supply some pressure. It is required for the REST feature.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Those electric pumps fail from time to time and it would be a disaster if the engine needed them to function properly.
Disconnect it and don't worry.

·
Registered
35,775 Posts
I don't understand your reason for shutting down coolant pump because of washer leak?
Even if you pull the plug on the small pump you will still have circulation from main water pump. The small pump is just a booster during engine run and helps in heat distribution while engine is stopped. I had the pump frozen when I bought my sedan and the only thing I noticed was that heating was getting colder when I stop at red light.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
He broke the pipe to the cabin heater core, so I think he wants to reduce the water pressure on his temporary plug in the pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts