Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

Rust at the body clip eventually caused a pinhole leak of the high pressure steel power steering line in front of the driver's side front wheel. I did a quick fix using rubber gas line and clamps but after a minute the hose swells and cracks.

I read somewhere that there may be upward of 1000 psi in this system -- the tandem pump (power steering and hydraulic rear leveling variety of the e320 4matic wagon).

Any suggestions?

The closest MB dealer is in Ottawa two hours away and at $34.90/liter, I'd hate to "bleed" some more.

BTW, the MB oil was at one time labeled Fuchs Titan ZH5364B and now it comes in a MB bottle. Same part number -- 001 989 2003 10 (or 12)

I was able to find only one cross reference -- Liqui Moly 2200. It is the exact same synthetic based hydraulic oil distributed in North America by the Altron Group. It meets MB spec 344.0

I spoke with Altron and they only carry Liqui Moly's engine oils for race applications.

There has been some discussion about alternative oils and a quick glance at data sheets reveals that PEntosin CHF 11s or its newer replacement CHF202 have similar but different properties, especially viscosity (Fuchs/Liqui Moly is 160 and Pentosin in 302).

I compared these two with Mobile 1 synthetic ATF (it was recommended as possible emergency substitute) and Mobile 1 feels, and flows, much closer to the official oil (Fuch's/Liqui moly) than Pentosin.

Products - Zentralhydraulik-Öl 2200

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, the closest "trusted" shop is 30 minutes away and not open on the weekend. I wouldn't be able to drive it that far even if he was open.

I just picked up a high pressure 3000 psi rubber grease gun hose -- roughly the same diameter. I'll try that.

By "easy" -- do you mean replace the whole steel line with fittings or is there a way to flare and add fittings to patch the exciting steel line?

Thanks,

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
I don't think it is 1000 psi, but in hundreds for sure. Regular hoses are rated for 150-200 psi.
One repair would be braze the damaged tubing. That assuming that there is not extensive corrosion past the pinhole?
Other possibility would be cutting the tubings on the hole and install compression coupling.
Even the brass coupling are made for 250 psi, in small sizes they will hold 1000 psi. Problem might be finding metric size, although I had 1/4" coupler working on 6 mm tubing.
Still getting new tubing ASAP would be hardly recommended. I drove without PS on few occasions and even it is possible on all vehicles it sucks.

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. i can see that the metric/imp matching would be a headache. Are there pressure fittings, similar in design to copper plumbing, that are typcially used in these situations?

For now, the high pressure hose is holding fine with two clamps. I've purged the air out of the system and pump is back to its quiet self.

Might be permanent fix -- will give the "trusted" mechanic a call on Monday for his opinion.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
Main problem with clamps is the connection slipping out. There are compression fitting rated for 5000 psi (I do have such on my scuba compressor) but it might take you long time to find a supplier. If you can hold the hose from slipping out it should be good for long time... till it fails ;)

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF instead of Fuchs ZH5364B for power steering/rear hydraulics

Thanks for the advice. So far it is holding.

On a related issue -- I think next time I will use Mobile 1 Synth ATF instead of MB spec. 344 "official" -- Liqui Moly 2200/Fuchs ZH5364B. The data/spec sheets are near identical.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/3664%20Zentralhydraulik-%C3%96l%202200_EN.pdf/$file/3664%20Zentralhydraulik-%C3%96l%202200_EN.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts