Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
01 S320 & 99 C240 Sport Wagon
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - Since my local stealership wants $300 for a replacement remote key (NOT keyless-go) and I've seen other members pay $160 - $180 I was wondering if it's possible to just phone in the VIN and payment details and have it delivered ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,084 Posts
Dealers have to see proof of ownership and identification before they can order a replacement.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
I’m not sure how all of this got started, but at one time last summer there were six different memos posted on the counter of my local Benz dealer, each of which pertained to the requirements for getting a key for your vehicle. When I arranged them in date order I was able to see that the requirements got tougher and tougher with each memo.

Presently, there is one memo that lists all the requirements and they are pretty tough. Proof of ownership, proof of identification, etc……and I think that the owner must present to make the order. I've seen some heated discussions with owners over getting extra keys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen some heated discussions with owners over getting extra keys.
That's not at all surprising - I mean this sound more like a "racket" than a business. In effect, it means that you are tied to your local dealer(s) and have no choice on the matter.

It beats the sh!t out of me what happens when you lose or have stolen your one & only key: my local stealership is quoting 1 to 2 weeks to deliver, after I come in with my Passport, Car Title, Birth Certificate, Registration document, drivers' license, 2 Credit Cards ... nah, just kidding about the 2 Credit Cards ! lol

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
That's not at all surprising - I mean this sound more like a "racket" than a business. In effect, it means that you are tied to your local dealer(s) and have no choice on the matter.

It beats the sh!t out of me what happens when you lose or have stolen your one & only key: my local stealership is quoting 1 to 2 weeks to deliver, after I come in with my Passport, Car Title, Birth Certificate, Registration document, drivers' license, 2 Credit Cards ... nah, just kidding about the 2 Credit Cards ! lol
I just picked up some parts at the dealership and 2 credit cards are usually needed to cover the bill !

·
Registered
2000 S430
26 Posts
My only FOB key was stolen. I went to the dealership with a similar key I purchased off Ebay (same year & model car) and the dealer refused to reprogram the key.

Had to fork out $292 for a new key! They wanted proof of ownership (registration, title, etc.) and drivers license. It took them 5 days to get the replacement.

My wallet is still recovering from that shock!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
My only FOB key was stolen. I went to the dealership with a similar key I purchased off Ebay (same year & model car) and the dealer refused to reprogram the key.

Had to fork out $292 for a new key! They wanted proof of ownership (registration, title, etc.) and drivers license. It took them 5 days to get the replacement.

My wallet is still recovering from that shock!
I just finished watching the DVD of "Inception", and I think this is now the only way to get a key from the dealership, and I suspect you will need a dream within a dream.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I have 2 keys, but one of them is inop. I opened it up to have a look and it appears as if it spent some time in water, probably salt water.

After thoroughly researching this whole remote key stuff, I believe that I can just transplant the surface mount chip with the security codes to another key.

Since this is not [yet] an emergency, I am going to give it a try just as soon as I find a suitable "doner" key for less than $10 ...

I will report back soon as it's done !

·
Registered
1972 350SL 1974 280C 1984 500SEL 1986 560 SEL 1987 420 SEL 1989 190E 1989 560SL 1991 300SE
469 Posts
My recollection of how this proof of ownership business got so strict was the release of the second "Gone in 60 Seconds"' with Nicolas Cage. One of the characters was "connected" at the local dealership parts department and able to get keys with just the VIN. Which, at the time, was possible.
My shop has had a good relationship with the local dealer for 30 plus years. I had no trouble getting a key made prior to the release of that movie. Although you were supposed to provide proof of ownership, enforcement was lax, if you were a friend, IMO. Within about a week of that movie coming out, the easy key spigot shut off. Sure has made us more careful about handling keys, though.:) MUCH more careful.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you get your car serviced by the same tech at mb who knows you well, then a phone call will surfice. If you do your own servicing and rarely go to stealership and they dont know you by face then yes, 2 proofs of ID on top of proof of ownership must be followed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts