·
Registered
2001 ML320
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have researched this and any high end head unit including Pioneer can be installed but the secret is getting a good installer to create a good wire harness adapter to the Benz wiring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 ML320
9 Posts
This should be easy. If the unit is a standard 2DIN size, it will fit.

To connect it to your speaker system you will need:

If you have Bose system, this:
Metra 70-1786 Receiver Wiring Harness Connect a new car stereo in select 1994-2008 Chrysler, Land Rover, Mercedes, and Saab vehicles at Crutchfield.com

If you don't have Bose system, this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701784/Metra-70-1784-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977

You will also need a pack of these connectors:
Posi-Products? Car Stereo Connectors 16 wiring connectors for installing a new car stereo at Crutchfield.com

This will allow you to install the stereo without cutting any wires and using the original connectors. Pleasant 1-1.5 hours DIY task with instant satisfaction, when done :). Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
9 Posts
There's no secrets to itThis should be easy. If the unit is a standard 2DIN size, it will fit. You can get really good wiring harnesses (and cheap!) fro Crutchfield.com

To connect the stereo to your speaker system you will need:

If you have Bose system, this:
Metra 70-1786 Receiver Wiring Harness Connect a new car stereo in select 1994-2008 Chrysler, Land Rover, Mercedes, and Saab vehicles at Crutchfield.com

If you don't have Bose system, this:
Metra 70-1784 Receiver Wiring Harness Connect a new car stereo in select 1992-up vehicles at Crutchfield.com

You will also need a pack of these connectors:
Posi-Products? Car Stereo Connectors 16 wiring connectors for installing a new car stereo at Crutchfield.com

This will allow you to install the stereo without cutting any wires and using the original connectors. Pleasant 1-1.5 hours DIY task with instant satisfaction, when done :). Good luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes it is the correct size the size is referred to as a double din providing that the ML has a Nav style head unit currently in the dash.

Again you need a good installer to create a wire harness to bridge the Pioneer to the Benz❗

·
Registered
1999 ML320
9 Posts
Yes it is the correct size the size is referred to as a double din providing that the ML has a Nav style head unit currently in the dash.

Again you need a good installer to create a wire harness to bridge the Pioneer to the Benz❗

Even with single DIN units you simply remove the additional storage compartment along with the OE stereo and you have 2DIN sized space for your new radio.

And again, you don't need to CREATE anything. You can get a harness / adapter matching your car connectors for $15-20 bucks. Then it is only a question of connecting 12-16 color-coded wires together according to radio and adapter documentation. Easy, half-an-hour job at best. Unless, of course you prefer to pay "a good installer" some $100-150 for this exact same job using the exact same parts. :grin

·
Registered
2001 ML320
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for quick reply. I am chatting with tech from crutchfield and they confirm the model I am looking is 2DIN. So if I get the connectors of the link you posted, I don't have to get in the back of the trunk to install? Could this be done right at dashboard?

·
Registered
1999 ML320
9 Posts
Nope. All is done from the driver's (or passenger's seat). With the right connector / adapter it is really a piece of cake.
The only part of the audio system in the trunk is the CD changer and there are no alterations to be done there. Be aware that you won't be able to use the CD changer anymore.

Some other thoughts:

1. What head unit was originally installed in your ML? A single DIN Bose (or non-Bose) casette radio or the large 2 DIN MCS unit?

2. The other concern with 2DIN units is their depth, which is - to my understanding - not standarized in any way. I remember that for installing some older Pioneer unit in my friend's ML we needed this kit: Amazon.com: Pioneer ADTVA133 2 Din Installation Kit: Pioneer: Car Electronics because the unit was some 1/2 in too deep.
In different case all we had to do was to cut some pieces of the dashboard (inside the radio opening) to make a deeper unit fit

3. Double check and make sure you get the right connector from Crutchfield. Bose-equipped cars have a separate amplifier and for this you'll need the harness with RCA jacks (line out instead of speaker-level out signals).

·
Registered
1999 ML320
9 Posts
Just checked on Crutchfield website, 2001 ML320 had four options - Bose+Navi, Bose no Navi, No Bose+Navi, No Bose no Navi. Those units most likely have different pin configurations, so choose your harness/adapter wisely, my friend :)

·
Registered
1999 ML320
9 Posts
So you'll probably need this one Metra 70-1784 Receiver Wiring Harness Connect a new car stereo in select 1992-up vehicles at Crutchfield.com , but PLEASE don't take it for granted. I'd strongly advise to consult Crutchfield support before ordering. They're extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
Also, it might be a good idea to measure the old unit's depth and compare it to that of Pioneer's. In general newer units are smaller, but again - it definitely won't hurt to check before purchasing. Once you have everything figured out and prepared, the installation itself will be a breeze.
I am here if you need more help.

·
Banned
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 1987 560 SL | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,545 Posts
Are you 100% sure you have the Bose system? Do you have an amp in the footwell above the pedals? Might want to check first. People are throwing a lot of different thoughts your way, but this PDF is all you need. Stay away from Crutchfield and anyone saying you need an installer. It's one of the simpler DIY jobs even with basic knowledge.

There's a few of us around here, myself included, that have posted numerous times about this. Just try searching next time so you don't get all of these new ideas/suggestions thrown at you, and focus on the people/posts that have actually done this. And look at this PDF. This is all you need, assuming you have the Bose as you claim (but you still need to check for the FO connection from the MCS to the AMP and verify it's there).

Attachments

·
Banned
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 1987 560 SL | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,545 Posts
There is Bose Logo on the speaker grill and I remember the sticker says bose sound system but I will double check it.
Some of the experts on options might be able to answer by just knowing if the Bose speakers meant they had the FO system, but easiest way to be 100% sure in 2 minutes is to see if you have the amp above the driver footwell. 2 screws to remove panels, then pop out. If you do, you'll see the cable trunk coming from where the radio is to the black amp bolted to the frame.

I just don't for the life of me remember if all Bose were FO or not. Especially pre facelift.

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE, 2015 GL63 AMG
563 Posts
FO systems are available on '02-'05 models. The OP should also be mindful of the impedance differences between Pioneer's internal amp (4 ohm) vs the Bose (2 ohm) that the actual volume output will be twice as loud compared to what's intended. The install should be much easier than those of us with FO systems LOL.

Another way to check, if searching for the amp sounds daunting, is to remove the headunit and check the back.

That Pioneer looks nice!

·
Registered
2001 ML320
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried to remove bottom cover to see if there is amp, but wasn't successful. It would not come out! It seems there are two more screws holding in the back. Anyway there was small gap for me to see if there is but was not able to get full view. There is a box that had sticker shows Siemens. Is that it?

Should I pull out the radio and see FO is attached in the back?

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE, 2015 GL63 AMG
563 Posts
The amp is way up there, between driver's cup holder and steering wheel. You'll need to push aside the white insulation. Lay your head on the brake pedal, look up towards the right. Or, remove the headunit:)

·
Banned
1,545 Posts
I tried to remove bottom cover to see if there is amp, but wasn't successful. It would not come out! It seems there are two more screws holding in the back. Anyway there was small gap for me to see if there is but was not able to get full view. There is a box that had sticker shows Siemens. Is that it?

Should I pull out the radio and see FO is attached in the back?
No, that's for the MCS phone. The amp is a Bose product. If you can see partially what Matt's picture shows, then yes, you have the Bose system and will only need to follow the instructions in the PDF I provided earlier this week.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.