Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, you are wondering why on earth anybody would want to do that, but the answer is simple. The car I bought recently had the oil changed, but I have no idea what filter they used. The odds are it's a cheap FRAM filter, which I would like to replace.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I don't see why not.

You may have to top up and recheck the oil level afterwards though.

Please note, I am not an expert...but it does seem logically possible and reasonable given the specific circumstances you have described.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Yes! Easy to do. You need the tool to twist off the cap. You can find one at Pepboys. Buy the cheapest one- it will work fine. It has a square hole that accepts a ratchet.

Advanced auto carries the Mann filter in my city, but you have to call. Napa had the Austrian Mahle.

You just twist off the filter cap- the filter snaps in place and stays attached to the cap. Let it drain a bit. Oil loss will be negligible - only what stays trapped in the filter. Walmart accepts used filters for free disposal.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
odds are they used cheap oil too, so might as well replace both filter and oil. consider the very short interval of cheap oil/filter a cleaning step.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
5w-30 is awfully thin - Benz oil specs do not recommend some, (mobil 1) 30 grades -lacking high temp shear strength.

Oberoi

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2001 E320, 2004 S430
991 Posts
Every time the filter is removed, the dirty oil drops into the pan, I'm not sure that is good.

When a canister type oil filter is removed (from the bottom of the engine), dirty oil is removed with the filter. With the MB style filter sitting at the top of the engine, all the dirty oil just drops back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts