Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to add either 2 or 3 subs in the trunk of my s class. i went to a local shop and they said i had to change everything. they said it would cost $1,500. Is there any way i can add subs without changing everything? any info is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno about taping into rear speakers but....

you should buy a clean amp JL audio 500.1 mono amp with a JL factory box if you dont want anyone cutting in your car. you will need a hilo adaptor for yor amp. just remember the trunk of your benz is sealed like a coffin sound will be minimal unless you run alot of power.I suggest 2 12in w3's

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two ways to do it, one is to buy a becker fiber optic amplifier that direcly interfaces with the stock fiber optics and the second is to use the balanced output on the back of the factory head unit. If you use the factory sub output you wil find that it has a automatic loudness coutour that is designed to work with the stock bose sub but it doesn't work well with an aftermarket sub. <br> <br> [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have done it, sounds great wouldn't use a Becker amp for sure not enough Balls use other brands & have a pro shop do it for you. You won’t be sorry. See our site for examples

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Yes.

Just tap the rear speakers, use an amp with high level inputs and your set.
Could someone who knows please post more technical description of where to tap the hi-lo converter and the remote turn on lead?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
The easist place to tap the audio is just splice into the wire right before it goes into t...

The easist place to tap the audio is just splice into the wire right before it goes into the rear speakers. I've done this on several systems and it works every time.<BR><BR>

The remote turn on lead can be wired to a number of sources. You can wire it to the turn on lead on the stock amp. Or to the back up of the head unit which would mean running a wire all the way up to the front of the car. Or any other accessory that requires the car to be on to function. But don't tap into any vital engine electronics or anything obviously [:O] .<BR><BR>
Another option is to buy an amp that doesn't require a remote lead. They can sense that music is coming into the input and automatically turn on. JL amps have this feature and I'm sure a lot of other amps do also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts