Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2010 E350 4matic
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all i finally got a chance yesterday to change my tranny oll/filter/pressure regulator spring/transmission connector/pan gaskit/TC drain plug & gaskit.
The old atf was very dirty it was like a slush in there. I cleaned up the pan very nicely and installed everything back. I checked the atf level at 79C and it was between the 80c mark on the dipstick...everything was all right untill i decided to recheck the atf today and found that the level was very low:( after checking it a few times i decided to take a look under thecar and turns out that the drain plug for the transmission pan is leaking very badly :mad:

Ill be picking up a new drain plug and gaskit for the transmission oil pan first thing in the morning and just wondering if it's ok to drain the atf into a clean pan and then reuse it after installing the new drain plug/gaskit??

I took pics for here and will be posting them later tonight.

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone can let me know if i am ok to reuse the atf and also if someone has the part # for a 97 e320 transmission drain plug and gaskit.

Thanks guys.

Cheers

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,524 Posts
Absolutely. Just make sure it's a very clean pan, and don't let any lint or other object get into the tranny.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I would suggest to get a container (a thoroughly clean milk jug should be fine) and a funnel, and then a lint-free cloth to use as a strainer. Put the strainer in the funnel (much like a coffee filter) and then pour the fluid from the drain pan into the strainer/funnel, letting it filter into the jug. You just want to be sure to catch dirt and particles and not dump them into the pan. Technically the filter screen should catch them anyway, but best not to drop them in, at least IMHO.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 E350 4matic
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, thats what i'll do.
I guess i'll go to the mb dealersjip in the morning and
Ask for 97 e320 722.6 transmission pan drain plug/gaskit and
They should be able to get me 1 without the part#. They weren't
Able to get me the tc drain plug without the part # which is beyond me.

Anyways thanks once again.

Cheers

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
A better plan is to replace the fluid. Consider the old fluid a very good flush agent and let it go.

Your time is worth more than the price of the new fluid.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Ill be picking up a new drain plug and gaskit for the transmission oil pan first thing in the morning and just wondering if it's ok to drain the atf into a clean pan and then reuse it after installing the new drain plug/gaskit??
I don't know why you need to drop the pan again to put in a new gasket. If the drain plug is leaking then tighten it or replace it with a new one and new washer. If you do it fast, there will not be that much loss of fluid. Filling up, start with cold level fill.
Unless the threads on the pan stripped then it's a bigger problem.

·
Registered
2010 E350 4matic
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know why you need to drop the pan again to put in a new gasket. If the drain plug is leaking then tighten it or replace it with a new one and new washer. If you do it fast, there will not be that much loss of fluid. Filling up, start with cold level fill.
Unless the threads on the pan stripped then it's a bigger problem.
Hey buddy,
I should have explained myself a little more,
I wont be dropping the pan, i am just planning on replacing the drain plug and washer, by gaskit i meant the washer for the drain plug and not the pan gaskit. I am really hoping that the threads on the pan are ok and thats the the problem...

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,038 Posts
One more vote for getting new fluid.
Not only because of risk of contamination, but since you never can get 100% of fluid - the one you put in is still having some old dirt in it.
I actually would even consider dropping the pan and wiping off the residue again. The pan gasket can be reused with no problem.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Hey buddy,
I should have explained myself a little more,
I wont be dropping the pan, i am just planning on replacing the drain plug and washer, by gaskit i meant the washer for the drain plug and not the pan gaskit. I am really hoping that the threads on the pan are ok and thats the the problem...
Then you won't even get that much out, greatly reducing the cost. I was assuming that you were dropping the pan again.

New fluid. No question.

·
Registered
2010 E350 4matic
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Guys i'd love to just buy new fluid but i dont wanna spend another $160 for new fluid. Just made a down payment on a new house and i still have a few more things that i'd like to do on he car like fuel filter, spark plugs/wires n all the other stuff that goes with it.

I plan on changing the ATF/filter/pan gaskit, pan drain plug/washer, TC drain plug/washer every 10,000 km due to the age and milage of the car (198KMs on it) so i think tomorrow ill just drain the atf using a clean cloth as a filter to catch any dirt and then reuse the current ATF. Since i am servicing the tranny every 10,000 kms i dont think it'll be a big issue to reuse the same fluid if i am very carefull during the process. Or is it absloutly necessary to use new fluid tomorrow?

I really do take u guys seriously so ur input is important ;-)

Cheers
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
You're not going to empty the transmission from the drain plug.

I'm not sure how much comes out of a 722.6, but I can tell you that an entire two quarts come out of my 722.4 when I remove the drain plug.

You are not asking about replacing the entire load of fluid. And it's not the fact that the fluid is used that would worry me. It is what you use to contain and re-add the fluid. You can't keep the environment clean enough to be safe, and the price paid for contamination is way too high.

An automatic transmission is a very sensitive device. Pressures are critical, even in your electronic transmission. A tiny cloth fiber can keep a check ball from doing its job, preventing proper pressure and allowing the friction device to slip (clutch or band). Slip for ten or fifteen miles and it's time for a new transmission. And usually, the slip is not noticeable until it is way too late.

If I even thought that I was talking about $160 worth of fluid, I might (or might not) answer differently. But even if you do drop the pan, you're only changing half of the fluid.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
A000 997 65 32 Screw Plug
A140 271 00 60 Seal Ring
A140 271 00 80 Gasket

And I agree with Gregs210 on the fluid issue.

·
Registered
2010 E350 4matic
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're not going to empty the transmission from the drain plug.

I'm not sure how much comes out of a 722.6, but I can tell you that an entire two quarts come out of my 722.4 when I remove the drain plug.

You are not asking about replacing the entire load of fluid. And it's not the fact that the fluid is used that would worry me. It is what you use to contain and re-add the fluid. You can't keep the environment clean enough to be safe, and the price paid for contamination is way too high.

An automatic transmission is a very sensitive device. Pressures are critical, even in your electronic transmission. A tiny cloth fiber can keep a check ball from doing its job, preventing proper pressure and allowing the friction device to slip (clutch or band). Slip for ten or fifteen miles and it's time for a new transmission. And usually, the slip is not noticeable until it is way too late.

If I even thought that I was talking about $160 worth of fluid, I might (or might not) answer differently. But even if you do drop the pan, you're only changing half of the fluid.
Hey Matt L first of all thanks for talking the time for your detailed replies, much appreciate it.
How much new fluid you think i'll need if i just drain the pan, i am thinking 3-4 liters?

After your last reply i am now thinking that using the old fluid will be like stepping on bills to pick up pennies;) think i should just get new fluid and i'll sleep better at night:)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Depends on how nasty your ATF fluid was.. If it was no where near red I'd personally do a few transmission changes every 5-10k at most until it stayed clear. Friends 130k subaru had burnt trans fluid and it took him 4 atf changes to clean it up

·
Registered
2010 E350 4matic
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Depends on how nasty your ATF fluid was.. If it was no where near red I'd personally do a few transmission changes every 5-10k at most until it stayed clear. Friends 130k subaru had burnt trans fluid and it took him 4 atf changes to clean it up
It was bad, almost brown. Think it'll take me 3-4 changes aswell to get it all cleaned up. Guess i should delay the HID kit and smoked e55 tail lights and get started on the ATF/filter changes :D
Pain in the ass:)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
We actually had his done at an oil change place all 4 times, granted this is a well run place where they know what they're doing.:D Depending on the mileage and the reputation of the place i personally wouldn't be worried about having them drain and refill it with their ATF fluid. I think he paid $240 for all 4 and ran 1k miles each, then put in the "recommended" subaru fluid.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
You have a 97, did you drain the converter, too?

If not, get 4L of new. You'll need someplace between 3 and 4.

If you did change it all, and it will help you sleep at night, go ahead and get the four.

If you changed it all I personally would not go overboard with it. Waiting 20 or 25K is fine. Changing it every 5K doesn't make up if the first change was badly deferred. If there's already excess wear, more fluid changes won't affect that, true?

Again, however, if it helps you sleep at night, amp it up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 E350 4matic
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You have a 97, did you drain the converter, too?

If not, get 4L of new. You'll need someplace between 3 and 4.

If you did change it all, and it will help you sleep at night, go ahead and get the four.

If you changed it all I personally would not go overboard with it. Waiting 20 or 25K is fine. Changing it every 5K doesn't make up if the first change was badly deferred. If there's already excess wear, more fluid changes won't affect that, true?

Again, however, if it helps you sleep at night, amp it up.

Good luck.
Hey Greg,
Yeah i did drain the TC aswell.
And might i add that this was the 1st time i ever worked on a benz
And it felt like i knew exectally what i was doin at every step all thanks to the great stickies here so thanks guys.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts