Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to disconnect the negative part of the battery when I am trying to remove the radio and install an FM Modulator?

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
It's generally recommended. Have you ever heard of Myrphy's Law??

BTW, if you disconnect the battery you will need your radio code to get the radio working after reconnecting. You will also need to reset your power windows and sunroof. Easy but can be mistaken for a malfunction if you don't know about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't heard of that law. What do you mean by resetting the sunroof and stuff? I still have my radio code too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My cousin just told me something about if the negative wire happens to touch the body which is positive then it could blow up or something. He really scared me there. All I'm trying to do is install my FM Modulator in there so I can play my mp3 player.

What will happen if I don't disconnect the battery? I can't get to my battery because one side of the seat is stuck, and I've been prying and prying and now my fingers look deformed.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
The negative battery pole is connected to the car body, you must have misunderstood our cousin.

I would not disconnect the battery if I was to take the radio out just to connect an FM modulator, you don't even have to disconnect the radio wiring for that. If you want to, take the radio fuse out for a precaution.

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
No I haven't heard of that law. What do you mean by resetting the sunroof and stuff? I still have my radio code too.
Well, there are variations but essentially Myrphy's Law states that if something can go wrong it will go wrong and at the most inopportune time. It's an old engineering joke which was used to prod young engineers into making sure they had considered all the possibilities.

When the battery is disconnected, some 'features' stop working. They need to be reset. For example, the express feature on your power windows will stop working. You can restore it by opening each window, then closing it and holding the switch down for about 3-4 seconds after it is closed.

·
Registered
1999 mercedes benz c43
201 Posts
Well, there are variations but essentially Myrphy's Law states that if something can go wrong it will go wrong and at the most inopportune time. It's an old engineering joke which was used to prod young engineers into making sure they had considered all the possibilities.

When the battery is disconnected, some 'features' stop working. They need to be reset. For example, the express feature on your power windows will stop working. You can restore it by opening each window, then closing it and holding the switch down for about 3-4 seconds after it is closed.
shit happens! :D that's what he is saying

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
shit happens! :D that's what he is saying
And even if it is supposed to be unlikely to happen, it mostly likely does. :)

But really if the intention is to access the antenna connector at the rear of the radio, I would consider it more likely that one would mess up with removing the battery cable than just removing the radio when not even detaching wiring (other than the antenna). Even detaching the power connector should be safe, it is pretty well protected against shorts to ground when removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts