Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help.....
I have a 2000 e320 4matic with 145000 miles and it started to make this horable noise underneath the car. It sounds like bad lifters or trans is running with no fluid, but it's coming from underneath the car. The noise only happens when the car gets warmed up and the trans is shifting between gears (it doesn't stay on) only will the trans shifts. I have checked all the fluids and inspected underneath the car, but i can't see to find out where the noise is coming from. I have also just serviced my trans and rear diff in the last 2 month.

A) does it sound like a cat issue?
b) I have seen that some forms on MagnaFlow after market Cats, any feed back??

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I have never heard the sound bad cats make personally, but I have seen several desciptions that it sounds like you have marbles rolling around inside one, or both, of them. Being that you only hear the sounds when the transmission shifts, I seriously doubt that is your problem.

I would suspect something with your transmission, drivetrain, or whatever they call the 4-wheel-drive mechanism. Just curious, is that the 1st time your tranny has been serviced? A lot of people estimate the lifetime of these tranmissions to be about 100,000 miles if the fluid/filter have never been changed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello, i had the same issue 2 month ago, i would hear that rattlaing noise from underneath the car when its warm, took it to the dealer and it was my left cat gone bad, the good thing it was uder warranty ( 8 years , 80,000 miles), hope that hlps you.

·
Registered
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
283 Posts
Sidvicious9669 said:
Please help.....
I have a 2000 e320 4matic with 145000 miles and it started to make this horable noise underneath the car. It sounds like bad lifters or trans is running with no fluid, but it's coming from underneath the car. The noise only happens when the car gets warmed up and the trans is shifting between gears (it doesn't stay on) only will the trans shifts. I have checked all the fluids and inspected underneath the car, but i can't see to find out where the noise is coming from. I have also just serviced my trans and rear diff in the last 2 month.

A) does it sound like a cat issue?
b) I have seen that some forms on MagnaFlow after market Cats, any feed back??

Thanks in advance.
Yep, exactly same thing happen to me, turn out BOTH cat gone bad. All is back to normal (and some gain in mpg in gas mileage) after $1800 burn through my pocket. I went with OEM part.

I heard good thing about MagnaFlow (perfomrmance), but some complain about fitment, so you might want to search around first. One thing for sure is that they're much cheaper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back. I had the trans serviced at 90K and at 140K. The noise does not sound like marbles, but sounds more like a cherry bomb muffler. I would like to go with OEM, but i don't want to break the bank. I wanted to know if any one used Midas for the cat replacement before...

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts