Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1994 SL500
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys .. what`s up?

I`ve been doing some "soft-core" drifting lately on U turns and stop lights ..
and at the end of every drifting session, the engine shuts off when I get my foot off the acceleration pedal . So I`m wondering if it is just the engine acting weirdly because the pressure of fuel does not match the air`s (cuz of porting intake & heads) OR the ASR is making the engine shut off because of over-steering the car.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
ill give a reply... hopefully im right.

i had this problem in my 91 r129...
except mine was a little more sensitive...

the problem for me happened to be the throttle body.. it needed to be adjusted... and the problem went away...
so check that...
if thats not the problem, use the advanced search thread and read the other threads similar to this. there are a few out there with addition ideas.

good luck!

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
16 views and no replay ????

helloooo?
Your specific 'complaint' I have not heard in here. But as you say, backing off the peddle. ..... MAYBE check & see if your peddle position sensor ( located inside your peddle arm) is working? The "click" on the button should, .."click"....

There is a connector off the sensor, about 12 inches long pigtail located behind the panel, ( upper right side foot well - sort of behind your radio)

Just a thought.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
First thought many of the 16 original viewers had:

The SL is not a drift car and should not be abused.
This is a convertible, the structural rigidity is not made for drifting.

If your car runs smoothly, free of problems when you drive it safely, it means there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
1994 SL500
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thought many of the 16 original viewers had:

The SL is not a drift car and should not be abused.
This is a convertible, the structural rigidity is not made for drifting.

If your car runs smoothly, free of problems when you drive it safely, it means there's nothing wrong with it.
I appreciate your input on this topic, I really do genuinely.

although people may differ from car-abusers to those who wash their cars literarily by themselves in each morning. In my case, I`m kinda in the middle.

Technically, When I first got my car, I`ve replaced my suspension including springs, axels, and diff with brand new parts. Not only that but as well as the brake system .

So to put words into conclusion . I guess my car`s suspension could handle a slap on the wrist.

Again! thanks for your input

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
It's not about how meticulous you are with your car, it's how you drive it.

This is no GTR. It's a heavy car, with no roof. You don't want to shake its intestines too much.

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
I appreciate your input on this topic, I really do genuinely.

although people may differ from car-abusers to those who wash their cars literarily by themselves in each morning. In my case, I`m kinda in the middle.

Technically, When I first got my car, I`ve replaced my suspension including springs, axels, and diff with brand new parts. Not only that but as well as the brake system .

So to put words into conclusion . I guess my car`s suspension could handle a slap on the wrist.

Again! thanks for your input

Let me know if my conclusion was right, or if it was something else! :D
and NO SLAPS ON THE WRIST FOR THE R129! IT IS NOT ALLOWED! that is what the girlfriend is for.... :D

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
The car stalls because its honestly not built to do what your doing. I was on a top floor parking lot with that smooth cement in the rain and my rear tires being for summer use only slipped out and I lost control causing the car to spin out. My car stalled as well in this situation when I let off the gas and hit the brakes quickly.

Your car is fine but I really do suggest if you want to stay away from costly maintenance and repairs that you drive it the way it was intended. My SL has many of the modifications you have as well and I wouldnt subject it to this even..

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
My car has the M113 engine (others may lol, but that's their problem) and you have a M119 engine, but I drive the same way you do and it does not die, so there is something amiss. Car are made to be driven - I'll bet Mercedes engineers NEVER intended the R129 to be driven by blue hairs or to be garage queens.

·
Registered
1994 SL500
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news fellaz!

I`ve used the method shown in the attached files to uninstall the ASR unit (Which I got from another forum) .. and swapped my precious back tires ( Sport Maxx 275/40/18 99Y) to another old tires which were 245s ...

Got the car to a stoplight and when doing a U-turn ...I floored her for two seconds, and let me put my words into description , she powerslid sharper, harder, and with bigger angle, with no problem what so ever.

without the ASR in every corner, I felt that the car accelerates more violently , pulls much much harder, and the engine runs without restrictions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
Although I totally disagree with SL Abuse,

+1 for these photos !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts