Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it important to only use the Benz Coolant when you flush and fill radiator fluid in a 1993 400SEL

The last time I had the coolant flushed and refilled at the Benz dealership, the guys told me to use only Benz coolant as Prestone and other 5 year coolants do not mix with the few remaining drops of Benz coolant when the system is flushed and will make the Prestone " a fluid like jello" and that situation would be difficult to rectify.

Is that true?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,161 Posts
Use only MB or MB-approved coolant and distilled water mixed in 50/50 concentration.

There is only 1 MB-approved aftermarket coolant. It is Zerex G-5. Comes in gold plastic jugs, available at NAPA, Pep Boys, Autozone.

Easy do it yourself job, and do it every couple of years.

Only these 2 coolants are ph balanced for use in MB engines. Using the standard green stuff or anything else but these 2 coolants mentioned will take its toll in the long run, usually head gasket goes first.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
It's hard to know how much of a lie is in the truth and how much truth is in a lie when it comes to advice about coolant and lubrication. The main question is did MB design its engines around coolant or coolant around engines? I don't know, but it seems to me that if you change your coolant every year or so, you'd be safe using just about any brand of coolant.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
My owner's manual says a 50/50 mixture of MB coolant with potable water is recommended but I prefer to use distilled. If you are going to flush the system I think regular tap water would be fine but let it drain for as long as possible. Just when you refill it, use distilled and MB-approved coolant.

·
Registered
'07 CLK350
1,144 Posts
MB coolant is CHEAP compared to some of the stuff (oil change, anyone?) these cars need. It lists for something like $17 and you only have to buy one gallon of the stuff to refill a W140. I don't consider that too bad for something that has to be changed once every two years. Considering the possible expensive problems corrosion/contamination could cause, why would you not want to use it?

·
Premium Member
2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
1,928 Posts
Ditto! It may not be true, but it's so cheap why take a chance? I'll take a $17 gallon of coolant over a $12,000 engine any day!

·
M20
4,818 Posts
we need to keep the Ph level low of our coolant because of the plastic parts we have in our cooling system. high Ph leads to plastic becoming brittle

good link dmac. there was also an article about this in the MBCA magazine.

a cheap way to know the PH level of your coolant is to buy those cheap Ph level plastic strips from swimming pool supplies stores

1 - 9 of 9 Posts