Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wrecked my car today, invisible curve. i believe damage is beyond repair.

I am not very familiar with that kind of situations. I want to get the best buck out of it in order to buy another one...

I am unsure if I should get another SLK because of my insurance that will be over the roof... Car was the only one I had and I use it for my daily commute. Maybe t is time for a 4 seater...

One last question, if you guys would buy a brand other than a Merc, what would your recommendation???

This is very painful an sad considering the work and care :crybaby2: Anyways, I would like to thank all of you for your help and I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
One last question, if you guys would buy a brand other than a Merc, what would your recommendation???
I would probably stay with a German car - once you are used to German cars, anything else just feels clumsy at speed. Volkswagen/Passat, Audi or BMW in order of affordability.

·
Registered
351 Posts
From personal experience:
The VW Golf/Audi A3 are very good. My wife's A3 (FWD, manual) had no major issues in > 3yrs of ownership/>65K mi; steering is very good (better than SLK), no torque steer, although front tires can be easily spun on wet road surfaces - current AWD version (A3) may be better in that regard. However, insurance is much higher than SLK (at least in NY) despite similarly good driving records

I also had the chance to drive the current model A4 and Merc C class (both AWD versions) a few times. The C is much better, surprisingly, when it comes to driving dynamics. E.g., the A4 has a wallowy ride - far too much on the soft end.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking more and more of getting a Toyota Prius late model.

I might keep my car for parts in case I bought another one that needed some tweaking.

Damn... I am still in shock, I loved this car and got so used to it. It was so much fun to drive.

Anyways, my car had problems like roof hydroponics that needed to be rebuilt and rust on body.

Another high mileage SLK might have the same problems.

I still fantasize sometimes about getting it back to life... Would be nice!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I am thinking more and more of getting a Toyota Prius late model.
You must be suffering from severe trauma to think about a Prius. :eek:
If you fall off a horse ........ ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to be reasonable in my next buy.

Of course I can buy another SLK 230 model 1998-2000. But I know what a car that old will probably need.

Let's be true and frank here!, the most likely needed repairs if not already done would be:

Front suspension and possibly the rear too
Shocks
Rotors
Possible need for head gasket change
Roof hydraulics
Supercharger would also need rebuilding
Tranny can be a bit of a gamble depending on how previous driver was driving.

When I bought my SLK, I chose it not only for looks and performance, but also for fuel efficiency, a 6 cylinder SLK 320 or later model might be more reliable and solid, but it is not as fuel efficient as an older 4 cylinder slk230.

Anyways, don't be surprised if you see me in the next month scrubbing bondo and doing some body work myself. My stubbornness sometimes gets me involved in crazy situations, all what you guys can do is give me some moral support and of course donations to my paypal :p

What's wrong with a Prius? I cannot compare it to SLK, this is like apples and oranges! I drove a Prius and I know its limitations, but there are things to appreciate in this car.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm with Kobus. A Prius?! If you want safe and reliable, get a Honda or Toyota. But a Prius? You might as well get a minivan.

And I don't recall the performance of the SLK 320 being that much better than the 230 (tho' the 320's engine note is alot nicer).

·
Registered
470 Posts
+1 dynhm6.

Older-the-better Mercedes :) :) :) Although SLKs are a TON of fun!!

Honda or Toyota makes the best stuff on the road! I've worked on hundreds of cars over the past few years, and I've seen Ford make a huge come-back! Not a fan of GM/Chrysler products.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have had 3 German roadsters. I liked the styling of the Porsche Boxster the best. It had more trunk space... front and rear trunks. The cloth top and plastic rear window are drawbacks. It has about the same performance envelope as the SLK. I would be happy with another Boxster.

The Audi TT Quattro had cool styling, especially the interior. Trunk space was really bad, cloth top drawback. Performance about like the SLK. I wouldn’t buy again because of trunk space.

The retractable hard top of the SLK is fantastic,… trunk space is not too bad,… styling is very nice. I am keeping mine.

Isn’t the Preuss the hybrid electric/gas? It’s a very cool car for the environment. However, it is not a performance machine. Therefore, not much fun to drive. All of the German roadsters can get really good gas mileage. So, I would stick with the fun factor roadsters.

I would let them total your car, and sell it to the insurance company. I bought my totaled Porsche 928 back from the insurance company, fixed it, and drove it for a few more years. Problems that could be attributed to the accident haunted me/reared their ugly heads. Maybe the age played a factor in issues too. I would not keep a car with a salvage title, especially an old one.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had 3 German roadsters. I liked the styling of the Porsche Boxster the best. It had more trunk space... front and rear trunks. The cloth top and plastic rear window are drawbacks. It has about the same performance envelope as the SLK. I would be happy with another Boxster.

The Audi TT Quattro had cool styling, especially the interior. Trunk space was really bad, cloth top drawback. Performance about like the SLK. I wouldn’t buy again because of trunk space.

The retractable hard top of the SLK is fantastic,… trunk space is not too bad,… styling is very nice. I am keeping mine.

Isn’t the Preuss the hybrid electric/gas? It’s a very cool car for the environment. However, it is not a performance machine. Therefore, not much fun to drive. All of the German roadsters can get really good gas mileage. So, I would stick with the fun factor roadsters.

I would let them total your car, and sell it to the insurance company. I bought my totaled Porsche 928 back from the insurance company, fixed it, and drove it for a few more years. Problems that could be attributed to the accident haunted me/reared their ugly heads. Maybe the age played a factor in issues too. I would not keep a car with a salvage title, especially an old one.
I hear ya. Trunk space was amazing, I was able to move from Chicago with all my stuff in my car. She had every space or void filled "the car" :D

Yes, Prius is the car that gets you 50 MPG combined, my SLK was getting 19 MPG city and 29 MPG highway. Prius is filled with gizmos and cool stuff. That's the car of the future when oil peak occurs.

I greatly value the experience I got from sticking to the forums here, You guys made me become a real mechanic. I am more and more thinking I might get another SLK in the future or fix mine slowly.

SLK is a toy that satisfies the child inside each one of us.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I thnk you should buy a $hit box <$1000 to get you mobile (if you have to) and search for a 2nd hand low miles 2004 slk230....you can get hem with <40kmiles still!
Just be patient! You know the car and the web sites and where to get help and its a complete package.
Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class | eBay

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The current situation.

Car will need the following according to my personal inspection:

New radiator
New Intercooler
New Bumper with support
New headlights
New hood if old is unrepairable by body shop
New left front fender
New rear light
Left side and top minor body work
Front bumper support straitening (no apparent damage to frame)
Paint job

I can get a used 2002 SLK230 for about 9k or maybe a bit less with about 100k mile on it.

If I was ever to fix car, I am getting the Leven tuning bumper which I am assuming comes with its own bumper support but is made of GPR. I don't know what is GPR exactly, is that like Fiber glass?
I know PBS bumpers would be the best choice. I want something as strong as what I had for aerodynamics and safety.

I might end up doing the repairs just as a proof of concept that my car will get back on the road.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Again, will your insurance company total the car? If so, you can probably remove as many components as you like before they take possession. Then buy a similar car, and re-install your improvements. If you repair your car, you should expect unforeseen crash damage problems to rear their ugly heads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts