Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some pictures from the Mercedes museum in Germany and wondered if we are going to be getting the E300 in the US? Will the E320 Bluetec be renamed to E300 Bluetec?

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Don't think so. The engine in the current E320 Bluetec is already a 3.0L. Mercedes tends to name their cars differently for the North American market and everywhere else.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Its thoes marketing pukes. Same thing with the new 5.5 engine. They are badged as 500 (I.E. Gl500) but actually are 5.5 liter engines. In US, the diesels are all badged as 320s, except they only have a 3.0L engine, as asianml said. In europe, they tend to error in the smaller side, and in america on the larger.

But the E300 and the E320 Bluetecs are basically the same car. Also, its worth noting that the ultra-clean Bluetec will be further implemented across the diesel range. A bit off topic, but MB will also be making an S400 petrol hybrid, as well as a diesel-hybrid, in the freeside small suv concept thingey, which they will be showing at the Geneva Auto show in a few weeks.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
They have to make a difference between the models. The current V6 diesel is probably 320 because it is more powerful than the the I6 320 that it replaced.

In Europe we have the E280CDI, the E320CDI and the E300Bluetec. All are almost the same 3 litre engines. They could not use E300 for all of those.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
MB needs to get consistent with model numbering so that it matches engine displacement. I think they are going more in that direction.

Alpha characters can notate turbos, higher output, etc.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
MB needs to get consistent with model numbering so that it matches engine displacement. I think they are going more in that direction.

Alpha characters can notate turbos, higher output, etc.
I'm missing something here. It was confusing when they had cars like 300 TD and 300 TDT (I guess the latter was reading 300 TD Turbo at the car). But these are not used any more.

Can you give an example for the W211 cars, how would you call the E280 CDI, E320 CDI and the E300 Bluetec if all indicated the correct engine displacement?

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Can you give an example for the W211 cars, how would you call the E280 CDI, E320 CDI and the E300 Bluetec if all indicated the correct engine displacement?

If above examples of model numbers = actual engine displacement, then no change needed.

Example of incorrect naming convention (maybe the MBA Marketing-types like this): SLK280 has a 3.0 liter V6

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is not exactally a correct way to do it imo (i would take the bloody things off anyways).

But in the old pre-turbo days, things were less complicated.

Here. Take the E55 AMG. It has a 5.4 liter engine, and a turbo. So for correct naming, it should be the E55K, for Kompressor, if you like. Also applies to the E200K, the smallest engine with turbo, which is badged with the K. However, remember that the E300 BT and E320 CDI both use superchargin. So, when you think about it, there is no "golden fix" for these naming shanaigans, but we would all agree the faster the marketing pukes are kicked out and the engineers are in charge, the better.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
If above examples of model numbers = actual engine displacement, then no change needed.
The post earlier already mentioned "these are the same engine in a bit different flavour". Exactly the same displacement!

These all are 3 litre engines, in that sense the new E300 Bluetec is the only one that is correct.

The same with E200 CDI and E220 CDI.

It isn't as simple as one might assume when all the models from the factory are taken into account, not only the high end ones for the US.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
There is not exactally a correct way to do it imo (i would take the bloody things off anyways).

Here. Take the E55 AMG. It has a 5.4 liter engine, and a turbo. So for correct naming, it should be the E55K, for Kompressor, if you like. Also applies to the E200K, the smallest engine with turbo, which is badged with the K. However, remember that the E300 BT and E320 CDI both use superchargin. So, when you think about it, there is no "golden fix" for these naming shanaigans, but we would all agree the faster the marketing pukes are kicked out and the engineers are in charge, the better.
That's backwards. The E55 AMG has a the Kompressor (supercharger). The diesels have the turbochargers.

·
Registered
234 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more! The new AMG's have the 6.3 liter designation, yet they have a 5.5 liter V8, albiet with a biturbo setup. They have no excuse now, they are just making $hit up....and dammit thats my job! LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts