Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 SL300-24, 1998 BMW 750iL
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just about to raise my roof when it jammed, its seems the bolt that joins the 2 poles together that acts as a B-pillar has fallen of!
looked around couldn't find the bolt anywhere...how do i fix it? it seems to be a very tight fit and the top wont come up even 1/4...is this a common thing?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First 2 pics are of the drivers side B-pillar, the bolt snapped right off
3 pic is the bolt and 4th pic is passengers side B-pillar, had to search for an hour in the softop compartment to find it after it fell right off

Attachments

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
If you cannot have a local machine shop make you a bolt like it (give them the other one as a sample), and you cannot find it in a junk yard, then I'll send you one.

There is not normally terribly much shear force on this bolt. Maybe it was just an annoying material defect. However, once you have the new bolt installed, move the top manually to see if anything else may have obstructed the linkage in your top...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you cannot have a local machine shop make you a bolt like it (give them the other one as a sample), and you cannot find it in a junk yard, then I'll send you one.

There is not normally terribly much shear force on this bolt. Maybe it was just an annoying material defect. However, once you have the new bolt installed, move the top manually to see if anything else may have obstructed the linkage in your top...
The car was left at a body shop to install a R230 front bumper for close 5-6 days...so the soft top wasnt being used, iv been to all the scrap yards and they say they wont part out a fully working softop for a bolt and machine shops would only do it in a uniform length...if you can send me 2 bolts with the rubber and bushings i would be eternally grateful....fully payed for including shipping and any other costs, i think my car was pissed because i spent the whole night looking for a panoramic roof

THANK YOU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts