Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
MB S600, Volvo XC70
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Need expert advice: Can I upgrade my 2003 Navigation CD reader to DVD by using one from a 2004?

I found a Command center unit in a 2004 S600. But not sure whether it will work after swap into my 2003 S600.
The reason: it is easy to get latest DVD navagation maps. MB nolonger provide new CD versions.

If I can swap, do I need an code to make the 2004 Command center unit work ?
Do I need to do program coding ?

Thanks.

Howard

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Your 2003 vehicle has a D2B fiber optics bus. The '04 S600 has a MOST fiber optics bus. The two are not compatible. You would have to swap out the COMAND units and everything on the bus (Audio Gateway, CDC, nav reader, cell phone, voice control and anything else you have that works through COMAND). It woud probably be easier and cheaper to install a 3rd party system such as the Pioneer Excelon series or an Alpine system. And while it may be "easier" that does not mean "easy." See the link deucer gave you.

·
Registered
MB S600, Volvo XC70
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Deucer and Skylaw.

I did check the Encyclopedia. Now I have more idea and let me do more research.

Howard

·
Registered
MB S600, Volvo XC70
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still couldn't find anything about replacing CD based Comand Unit (upto 2003) with a DVD one (from 2004).

Or, maybe I can just swap the reader/driver inside the Comand Unit from CD to DVD.

Idea ?

Thanks.

Howard

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
Skylaw explained that you have to change the Command Unit out in order to make the 2004 work. That is because the 04 is MOST technology opposed to the earlier models and what you are currently running in your 03. It is doable if you are willing to spend a little more money for a Command Unit and accessories that will adapt. He also mentioned some 3rd party system that will work also.

·
Registered
MB S600, Volvo XC70
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skylaw explained that you have to change the Command Unit out in order to make the 2004 work. That is because the 04 is MOST technology opposed to the earlier models and what you are currently running in your 03. It is doable if you are willing to spend a little more money for a Command Unit and accessories that will adapt. He also mentioned some 3rd party system that will work also.
Sure, Deucer.

I get it, but replace everything on the bus is too expensive. Let me find a efficient way to add DVD and keep it stock/MB.

Thanks again.

Howard

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
Do a Goggle search tand see if anyone knows how to add DVD in place of CD in a Mercedes.

Good luck sir.
Deucer

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
I get it, but replace everything on the bus is too expensive. Let me find a efficient way to add DVD and keep it stock/MB.

Howard
Too expensive, and having to replace everything - that's why it isn't done. That's why you won't find anything on it. At a cost of around $10K, folks just do not do it. I know one guy in Houston who has done it, but simply because it was a technological challenge and he wanted to - plus he owns a Mercedes service center.

You will NOT find an "efficient way to add DVD and keep it stock/MB."

·
Registered
2013 s550
21 Posts
heres what i did, i put in a 2003 head unit with dvd, i did it to my 2000 s430 and had to chane pinouts sounds better.too

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
You should have been a bit more specific, corkshoppe. You did not install a 2003 Mercedes COMAND with DVD. They did not make them then. You may have installed a 3rd party head unit with a DVD player. Or, you may have installed the '03 COMAND MOPF wide-screen unit - but it was not DVD based, it was CD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts