Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it absolutely imperative to change the disc brakes or i can i resurface it?

I just change them last year, only the front pads need changing, so i was thinking should i just get new pads and resurface the disc, is it absolutely a must to change the front disc brakes as well.

What are some of you guys opinions?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
No

Not enough material to surface.Are they still smooth?if so you can deglaze them with 150 grit sandpaper in a crosswise pattern on both front and back.Clean with soap and water rince with water and then spray down with brake cleaner to dry and finish cleaning off the sanding residue.
Akebono pads from tirerack and seat them in properly.Akebono provides procedure something like 400 miles with no panic brake applications or high speed braking.
:bowdown:eek:hlord
great pads ,little dust.
Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips for rotors if you need them.
You went through front pads in one year?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Hey, TF. MB specifically notes that resurfacing is not to be done. Rotors are cheap, especially online. So if yours are warped or heavily grooved then replace them.

That said, if they are neither warped nor heavily grooved and you're just following the old-school thought process of "If changing pads, resurface rotors" then there is no reason to do so.

On the other hand, if you have glaze -- or are changing pad compounds (which you should not do unless you are also changing the compounds on the rear) -- then deglaze them with some emery cloth (I have better luck with that than sandpaper) and blast thoroughly with brake cleaner (nothing wrong with soap and water but it's a bit of overkill and you'll have less residue with the emery cloth); you don't even have to pull the rotors as you can sand from the back where the caliper mounts, then rotate as you go.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts