Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed my hood pad is sagging and chipping. Tempted to rip it out. Question: what does it really do, and do I need it on a 1983?

My paint's no longer impressive, and I can't see caring about the paint in 3 more years. Any other issues to consider?

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
For me, it was important,

I took mine out mid-winter and ordred a new one, i was waiting to put the new one up till late-spring but i was more or less forced to do it early. My hood paint (underneath where the pad was) started to change color and had this one spot like something metal had almost burned throu the hood.
I have a thread about this find it, it will help you.

Kris

EDIT: I just noticed ur car is a 300SD, put the pad on! there is a lot of heat in there, bubble ur paint!

Autohaus AZ has pads for $36.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
hmm i didnt notice that much a difference in the cabin, i dont remember hearing one much outside either, there might be a slight difference but nothing major. If you want more noise deading check out www.dynamat.com

they have stuff that would do that kinda job, pretty sure they have hoodpads too..

Kris

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Not really…

Don’t get me wrong – I put new pads in all my cars, gas and diesel – but two of them have good paint. I just don’t like the way the hood looks sans pad – it’s ugly.

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely install a new pad! How are they attached. If it is just glue, I am tempted to go to Home Depot and buy something cheaper, perhaps an aluminum foil bubble wrap.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Here is what I did,

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1200981&start=1&fid=12

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I use 3M super 90 for glue, lacquor thinner to get the old goo (along w/ plastic puddy knives) off. Also, the 36$ pad is aftermarktet and looks nothing like the original. If that's not important, then sure, aftermarket works fine.
I like the waffle pattern on the genuine pieces so that's what I install in my car/sell to customers.

It's nice to have the real deal if you ever have you're hood up at meet/gathering.

Jonathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts