Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
slk32
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine thinks his friend's s2000(stock) can kill my slk32... and he also mentioned something like.. even though 32 has 349hp, its acceleration sucks and kept saying how s2000's rpm goes up to 9000.. ?

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Yeah, and while the Honda is waiting to hit the powerband at about 6000 you will have already started to move...as you have low down power. Could be a close race though.

Regards

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
He's not cocky, he's stupid ..............

A stock S2000 doesn't stand a chance against an SLK 32. The SLK 32 has more torque at idle then the Honda has at full power. (OK that's a little bit of exaggeration.)
I have found that around here, no S 2000 want's to run me anymore. They lack torque, and that is what makes a car go. On the track there is even less of a challange because the power band of the Honda is so narrow.
They only put out something like 154 pound feet of torque, and the '32 doubles that.
Your friend will lose, unless you screw up very badly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
try it, but the S2000 is pretty quick, even if it has no torque.

When it's kept in the vtec band, it flies

what are the 1/4 mile times for both?

Etienne

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
Linh/BruceR bring up some great points. I can't add much to what they say. My only suggestion is to tell this S2 to put up, or shut up. Take it to a local drag strip & run a grudge match. Put some money on the line too, say $1-2k. Be sure to make up the rules concerning keeping both cars stock (no NOS). Slicks could be added to keep the times down.

Most cocky street racers want to run the streets & want to show off. Remember, cops just love to catch street racers & you risk much more than bragging rights. Best bet is to call him out on a drag strip, that way at least, you are covered legally and not worry about killing some old lady pulling out of her drive at the worse moment.

2 cents[:D]

·
Registered
slk32
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now hes saying he's driven a slk before and said its a piece of shit.. however he admits its slower than the 32 now lol.. but still....

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
RPM isn't the be it all, end it all number. Some cars develope peak power and torque before they reach the redline. Others keep on developing more of it 'if' the car was able to rev higher. It doesn't matter if the car has 50,000rpm if:
a) the driver doesn't know how to shift
b) the peak torque is low down
c) it takes minutes to get to the peak rpm
etc...

It's just a number, and in the S2000's case, they made a high revving engine. It was by DESIGN more then by FUNCTION.

Anyway, it is widely acknowledged on the S2ki forums that the S2000 is NOT a drag car and there is no way it would beat the 32. S2000 owners rarely find themselves able to get consistent sub 6 second times, and even then it only happens if you rev the engine up before launching the car forward. It is rated at 5.5 seconds (if I remember correctly) for the 0-60, but getting a consistent number like this is not easy. You need to be able to shift at just the right time. The 32 on the other hand is easy to launch, just hit the pedal and the autobox takes care of the rest. You'll have no problem getting the acclaimed 5.2 seconds 0-60 times, and maybe below 5 if you let it rev up a bit before letting go of the breaks.

On a track, the S2000 would have a much better chance.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Would your friend by any chance be the one who started this thread on the s2ki forums - http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=281347

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Not really .......

Not really, been there done that. At Summit Point Raceway I lapped an S2K in less then 12 laps. The driver was at least as good as I am (not that I'm all that good. Let's say we were equals... [:eek:)]), and within 12 laps I passed him. The S2K is a nice handling car with reasonable power, but it doesn't hold a candle to the '32. I have driven both, I can't say I know, but I can say I have a real good idea.
The S2K is twitchy in the turns, where the '32 is solid. You know exactly what the '32 is going to do whether it's good or bad. The S2K runs on the edge, and there's always a question as to if you have full control or not.
Short runs as in autocross, well that's a different story. The lighter weight has some serious advantages for the S2K.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Guess it just depends on the driver. The S2000 is known for some decent track driving qualities.

Personally, I would only track a car if I wasn't afraid of losing my ride. I'm all too paranoid about having my car scratched, thrown into a wall, into a ditch and so on...

I'd love to buy a second hand 'sporty' car that I wouldn't be too afraid to have it trashed. Unfortunately, the 'sporty' cars I'm looking at cost anywhere from $15-25k, and as such, are not that cheap :\

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Guess it just depends on the driver. The S2000 is known for some decent track driving qualities.
There is no doubt about what you say, but the raw power of the '32 on the straights is what kills the S2K. It just can't keep up.
Out of a 70 mph sweeper, into the 1/2 mile main straight; about 1/4 mile into that straight I passed the S2K going 20 to 25 mph faster then he was.
I don't want to lose my car either, so I'm quite conservative entering the turns. If I was truely aggressive, I think I could have passed (lapped) him twice. The S2K is not in the same class power wise, it has no "grunt".

·
Registered
466 Posts
I thought you were going to buy an Elise for a track car?

The S2000 doesn't have the torque to get out of the corner, much less drag-race.

That guy's blowing hot air (and I don't mean the psi kind of blown hot air).

Shinigami - 4/6/2005 4:48 AM

Personally, I would only track a car if I wasn't afraid of losing my ride. I'm all too paranoid about having my car scratched, thrown into a wall, into a ditch and so on...

I'd love to buy a second hand 'sporty' car that I wouldn't be too afraid to have it trashed. Unfortunately, the 'sporty' cars I'm looking at cost anywhere from $15-25k, and as such, are not that cheap :\

·
Registered
466 Posts
RE: Not really .......

You have a good idea of how the S2k feels... on the edge and twicthy, like it's on meth!

The S2000 is VERY twitchy. LOL. I lost the rear a couple of times on California Speedway's Interior while trail-braking on one of the decreasing radius turns.

Other guys disconnect the rear sways and put thicker sways up front to induce some understeer, but that doesn't make the car "neutral" anymore.

The S2000's torque (or the lack thereof) is sufficient for its twitchiness - any more and we'll see more S2000's in the junk yard.

That still doesn't explain why I was able to lap a stock Evo on the Cal Speedway Interior. LOL I think the driver was changing his CD or something...then saw me coming straight at him and gave me the wave-off.

Bruce R. - 4/6/2005 4:27 AM

Not really, been there done that. At Summit Point Raceway I lapped an S2K in less then 12 laps. The driver was at least as good as I am (not that I'm all that good. Let's say we were equals... [:eek:)]), and within 12 laps I passed him. The S2K is a nice handling car with reasonable power, but it doesn't hold a candle to the '32. I have driven both, I can't say I know, but I can say I have a real good idea.
The S2K is twitchy in the turns, where the '32 is solid. You know exactly what the '32 is going to do whether it's good or bad. The S2K runs on the edge, and there's always a question as to if you have full control or not.
Short runs as in autocross, well that's a different story. The lighter weight has some serious advantages for the S2K.

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,670 Posts
I raced stock and supercharged S2000's with my SLK32 when it was stock and when I had the Renntech pulleys. It was NOT a close race. Period. Just look at the magazine tests for crying out loud. The S2000 is a great car, I have put many miles on one, but it is not in the same league.

What is it with the Honda crowd thinking their cars are high performance from the factory? Dependable, yes. High performance, no.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Arnee - 4/6/2005 11:32 AM

I thought you were going to buy an Elise for a track car?
Talking to me? I didn't say I 'was' going to buy one, but rather, I'd 'like to' buy one [;)]

I can get second hand starting at just under $25k over here... But the kind I'd really like to try out goes for just over $30k (that's starting to be on the 'bit too expensive' territory).

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
iku - 4/5/2005 9:05 PM

a friend of mine thinks his friend's s2000(stock) can kill my slk32... and he also mentioned something like.. even though 32 has 349hp, its acceleration sucks and kept saying how s2000's rpm goes up to 9000.. ?
Your friend is FOS. RPMs (horsepower) mean nothing but an advertising point. It is the area under the curve that you want to look at and the '32 has that in spades. It would take a heavily modified (turbo or supercharged) S2k to keep up with a '32. He might get you off the line by drop the clutch at 6K, but the game is over after about 25mph. I know, I've owned both.

Another datapoint. A stock 3.2 NSX can't keep up with a '32 at all. A stock s2k can't keep up with an NSX past 40.

Check if he does have a mod to it, then race him for slips. [}:)]

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
Shane - 4/6/2005 12:28 PM
What is it with the Honda crowd thinking their cars are high performance from the factory? Dependable, yes. High performance, no.
On the track, it would hold its own on a '32. On the street, where he is racing, the '32 has it hands down.

It is a high performance car. I have tracked it. Even as a track newbie, I was able to hold my own against most of the Lotuses (sp?) and was just a bit slower than the NSXs.

Dependable. Mine wasn't! Mercedes quality problems, nothing compared to tweaked valves, projectile spark plugs, and blown pistons. Ever wonder why they lowered the 9K redline to 8k, because the piston speeds were faster than F1 cars!

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
Yes, but try looking at the whole pictures and not just power (weight...etc). Take the new Lotus Elite for example, with Toyota high rev engine
--------------------------------------------------------

Lihn, I don't want to start an ongoing arguement (like you have with some other guys on the board) but, an Elise has a Curb weight of 1984 lbs w/190 bhp, according to http://66.139.73.25/elisespecs/index.html, ... and an S2000 wieghs in at 2835 w/240 hp, according tohttp://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_full_specs.asp?ModelName=S2000&Category=2. BIG Difference in weight.

·
Registered
248 Posts
iku - 4/5/2005 9:05 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This is ridiculous!!!! I've raced two S2000's and beat both with my pullied SLK230!!!!!!!!!!!

Rarely do you EVER see people with manual trans get a good launch and great shifts. Hardly ever happens.... A 32 would BURY a 2000. [:eek:)]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I beat an s2000 wiht my pulley on today...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts