Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to ask such a question guys but I have this small concern.

I drive an ML55 and try as I can, I usually cannot resist the temptation to floor it (not necessarily to the point of using the kick down button) to hear that intoxicating V8 growl.

I am a bit concerned though that I am doing some damage to the engine in some way by doing so.

Are my 'fears' right?

I know of course that this eats substantially into fuel mileage:eek: - I can testify to that!:D

Look forward to your responses!

·
Registered
2007 ML 500, 2008 ML 550, 2011 ML 63 AMG
363 Posts
If I recall correctly you're not able to get high octane fuel over there.

I'd very nervous about the long term effects of continuous heavy throttle action without something to bring the octane up to a safer level.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts

I'd very nervous about the long term effects of continuous heavy throttle action without something to bring the octane up to a safer level.
With the correct fuel octane I don't think it'd hurt. I floor it through the first two gears at least once whenever I drive the ML. Of course I always wait until the engine temperature, oil temperature, and transmission are warmed up at an operating temperatures before exceeding 4k rpm.

·
Registered
2004 ML500 w/ Sport Package
601 Posts
especially with your hand-built engine that is made to put up with high abuse and output, i wouldn't worry about it. when i drive the ML55, i try the best i can not to floor it, but i just cant help it!

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
There is nothing like stomping on the pedal, even to the point of the kick down button. The V8 sounds and feels great and I only have the ML430.

I do worry more about the tranny than the engine though.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
With the lack of availability of parts and dealers in that region, I would take it easy if I were you.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I vote for foot to the floor on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
904 Posts
Engine? As long as you avoid oversquare conditions (high manifold pressure/low RPM) - which is difficult to do with automatic tranmissions - it is very difficult to damage modern stock engines in good tune with brief WOT.

The transmission and u-joints are a whole different story.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz ML350 MY 2008
128 Posts
Sorry to ask such a question guys but I have this small concern.

I drive an ML55 and try as I can, I usually cannot resist the temptation to floor it (not necessarily to the point of using the kick down button) to hear that intoxicating V8 growl.

I am a bit concerned though that I am doing some damage to the engine in some way by doing so.

Are my 'fears' right?

I know of course that this eats substantially into fuel mileage:eek: - I can testify to that!:D

Look forward to your responses!
I believe by flooring frequently you could damage engine mounts and get "clunk" sound coming from the engine bay everytime you drive your ML from standstill. I had this issue before and it got fixed by dealer. But the funny thing is I still floor gas pedal once in a while lol :) , I think I have been intoxicated ...

·
Registered
2004 ML500 w/ Sport Package
601 Posts
I believe by flooring frequently you could damage engine mounts and get "clunk" sound coming from the engine bay everytime you drive your ML from standstill. I had this issue before and it got fixed by dealer. But the funny thing is I still floor gas pedal once in a while lol :) , I think I have been intoxicated ...
i got this problem too, its been fine ever since they replaced them under wannarty

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,682 Posts
Those engines have so many protective sensors that even if you'd like -you can't damage them. Do you know the engine will shut down if you keep it overheated for couple of minutes?
Years ago I used to drive 44 HP Volkswagen diesel. With so much horsepower, the gas pedal had only 2 usable positions. My cruise control was a piece of wood stick that kept the gas pedal on the floor. Regardless constant driving at maximum throttle, that thing kept on going and going. I sold it when it was about 15 years old in perfect running condition.
Coming back to ML55 good for you the computer has lowest display of 6 mpg. When I was driving Navigator, that didn't have that limit -the computer was displaying "1 mpg" very often.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Maybe if the mounts were made of paper.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
I'm assuming we are not talking about long-term longevity here. Right?

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
904 Posts
I'm assuming we are not talking about long-term longevity here. Right?
I was. If we are talking about just the engine occassional flooring it isn't going to hurt anything assuming that there aren't any existing problems.

You are putting strain on the rest of the drivetrain and mountings which will affect their life but not that of the engine itself. And for a lot of those parts the damage isn't so much from maximum throttle but from changes in force. Going from zero throttle to 100% over a 1 or 2 second period will cause less strain on the systems than just slamming the throttle down. But even this damage is softened somewhat due to the torque converter absorbing energy.

Running WOT for an extended period of time (more than say a minute) would likely cause damage. Diesels can do this. Most gasolines cannot.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,682 Posts
Running WOT for an extended period of time (more than say a minute) would likely cause damage. Diesels can do this. Most gasolines cannot.

Sounds like you have never seen boats at the lake.
You might have a point that most of gasoline cooling systems are not design to deal with full throttle heat for long times.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Look at how rental cars are treated.:)

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good memory!

Yes, you're right Da Murf - There is no high octane fuel out here in Sierra Leone but the ML seems to be okay for now (touch burl walnut wood:D)

I have noticed a slight reduction in immediate power when I depress the accelerator but enough to make it slow by any estimation.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good advice.

With the lack of availability of parts and dealers in that region, I would take it easy if I were you.
I hear you 43sqd, I hear you.:bowdown:

From a purely mechanical point of view, apart from ancillary parts like the engine mounts and transmission mount, is there any chance of damage to the ENGINE?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts