Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1982 416 Doka
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my om352 and a prospective buyer is under impression the flywheel is keyed/balanced to the crankshaft.
He thought if they become separated you are screwed...
I did find that the flywheel ONLY goes on one way, so I did not think it mattered.
Any thoughts?:surrender:

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,330 Posts
Honestly, I don't know. Regardless, you can always match another flywheel to it. Its not rocket science. But if they are balanced to each other, it sure would be nice to have the original if it was serviceable.

·
Registered
round one , square one
1,451 Posts
Right at present I'm installing my flywheel from the old motor to ''new''. The flywheel is not keyed just 8 bolts(stretch).
I have been trying to find out if you have put it on and line up marks in the injector pump, or does it go on any old way??

G Vavra

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,330 Posts
I noticed the same thing as well and what look like streatch bolts. But I cant imagine they are really stretch bolts. Especially since benz used a lot of funky shouldered bolts etc all over the SBU/MBU's.

But the fly wheel certainly looked like it will bolt on in any position. And most counter balanced flywheels have a dowel pin or similar.

·
Registered
1982 416 Doka
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right at present I'm installing my flywheel from the old motor to ''new''. The flywheel is not keyed just 8 bolts(stretch).
I have been trying to find out if you have put it on and line up marks in the injector pump, or does it go on any old way??

G Vavra
It first "appeared" to me
It would go on any way too
... Until I tried. Unless you
Got lucky, I found only one
Way the bolts would line up..
It is a fairly subtle difference in the
Hole spacing... Which should
Mean it will be right for IP
Timing....
But my question is still about
Should they only be a mated
Pair for balancing purposes..

·
Registered
round one , square one
1,451 Posts
I just went out and threw the calipers on the bolt holes and it is as you said..'only one way'. 27mmish between most holes, then 1-30mmish and 1-24mmish
As far as mated pairs for balancing, I'm going with it does not matter. Both the crankshaft and flywheel are balanced separately to within tolerance, so swapping one or the other should not make a difference.
Don't know if that helps you or not?

G Vavra

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I checked my flywheel a minute ago. It does not appear to be counter balanced in any way. It has only two small balancing holes. So unless Benz went to some crazy extreme to counter balance them, they are capable of being swapped from one engine to another.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Crude, but take it for what its worth. If it was counter balanced, it would not have done this. This is a good one for TRUCKTOR.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
No, it's not balanced. The m180 is, however.

I am selling my om352 and a prospective buyer is under impression the flywheel is keyed/balanced to the crankshaft.
He thought if they become separated you are screwed...
I did find that the flywheel ONLY goes on one way, so I did not think it mattered.
Any thoughts?:surrender:

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
I just found the slip from having my clutch rebuilt. It is a neutral balance flywheel, and will only bolt up in one position.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
I just found the slip from having my clutch rebuilt. It is a neutral balance flywheel, and will only bolt up in one position.
Some engine manufacturers use the bolt pattern to ensure that the engine/flywheel are bolted up correctly since they use the flywheel for balancing. Other manufacturers use a dowel or other "key".

Since the flywheel balances by itself, I'm assuming that the engines are internally balanced somehow.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
I have never understood what was gained by having an unbalanced engine, and then correcting it with an offset balance flywheel. Create on problem, then fix it with a shitty solution. I swapped ford 5.0 engines into lots of cars for a while, the offset balance made getting and modifying a flex plate or flywheel a PITA. No worries for you though, the 352 is neutral balance.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,679 Posts
Is the Inline 6 configuration not one of the most naturally balanced design's anyway?

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,596 Posts
Oh yeah, mine's so smooth at idle I can balance my champange glass on top of a nickel on top of the dog house. Buttery smooth.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts