Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Daily Driver '05 C320 4Matic 85K. For Sale '87 300SDL 215K Sold: '01 CLK430 70K / '85 300TD 280K+
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of my cousins and I are planning a trip from Boston to Chicago to visit our other cousin and my car, 85 300TD, is the only car big enough to fit everyone. I'll be honest I'm a little nervous thinking about driving my baby, full of people/luggage, for 20 hours over almost 1k miles.

Will driving almost 1k miles in a day pretty much nonstop hurt my car? What should I do before we leave?

Also, I've never driven from Boston to Chicago before so I'm wondering if we are being overly ambitious in thinking we can drive from Boston to Chicago in a day, 20 hours or so. Are we crazy?

I appreciate any advise you guys(and gals) can give me!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, after My Tacoma was stolen last month, I had to drive my 200T on a 9-10 hr trip three weekends in a row at 4k rpm and had no trouble.. just change the oil and check over all the fluids/belts/hoses/tires etc and you should be fine :thumbsup: Thats what these where made for.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
An 85 300TD is built for long highway road trips, it has the lower geared rear diff(2.88) to lower the highway RPM's. Just change the oil and check over everything such as hoses and belts and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
Besides, what could possibly go wrong?

Bet you don't take your eye's off he guages the whole trip :)

·
Registered
1979 300D - 108k miles/ 2014 E250
220 Posts
You might throw some spare parts in the trunk with some tools. Fuel filters, hoses, a glow plug or two - things you probably cannot get at the local NAPA :thumbsup:

·
Registered
see signature
282 Posts
I bought my '78 280ce sight unseen from an elderly lady in Portland and proceeded to drive it 2300 miles back to Indianapolis. I did stop overnight, but it was LONG drives all day long. With no heat, but that's a different story...

You'll be doing most of your driving at a nice constant rpm, which makes internal combustion engines very happy.... I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's in good shape now.

·
Registered
1983 240D 3.0T
242 Posts
Yeah, highway miles are generally easier than any else on a car, there's no reason for running that long to be a problem. I ran my 250K 240D down to Maryland from Boston in one trip (only 400 miles, but still). You should be fine.

·
Registered
1983 240d AT1993 e320 AT
2,270 Posts
Besides, a car's engine is more stressed in traffic than long, highway drives. Check those like the guys already said + sparetire and tools (just in case) and you'd see yourself in Chicago in no time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Go for it! I took my family (2 adults and 2 teenagers, plus a FULL trunk) to Florida and back from Indianapolis last winter in our 1985 300D with 155K miles on it. We drove 1150 miles non-stop each way. The car ran like a freight train the whole time. This is easily one of the most comfortable highway cars I've ever driven.

The only hiccup was that the rear passenger window regulator crapped out while we were down there and I had to go inside the door and fabricate a wooden dowel to wedge the window into the up position for the drive home.

Make sure you have fresh oil & filter, your belts are in good condition, check tire pressures, etc. - just like you would do for any car before taking a long highway trip - and you should have no problem.

·
Registered
Daily Driver '05 C320 4Matic 85K. For Sale '87 300SDL 215K Sold: '01 CLK430 70K / '85 300TD 280K+
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey! Thanks for all the good advice. I feel a little bit better about the trip. My baby runs like a top now but I'm just envisioning overheating 12 hours into the trip and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

AAA card, tire pressure, spare tire, tool kit, oil change, fuel filters, checking belts and such. I think I'll be ok.

@scratcher: I plan on looking at the gauges the whole ride and having my navigator look at the road!

THANKS!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts