Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
66,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The minimum wage: Job killer? - Yahoo! News
With many states facing record numbers of unemployed teens, economists debate whether to blame the downturn, or minimum-wage hikes
Should the law concerning minimum wage be revised or simply abolished? Would our economy recover faster, stronger and healthier if minimum wages were no longer there and simply market forces would dictate pay based on what employers are willing to dish out?

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Given the fact they are pitiful, what difference does it make?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
All those folks who fall through the cracks will immediately be picked up by the gazillions of private charities who exist to spring into action on behalf of the general welfare here in Merka. It's a slam-dunk

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
Make the national minimum wage $25/hour and the economy will immediately recover because so many people who were poor will all of a sudden have lots of money to spend.

This idea is flawless.

·
Moderately subtle
12,050 Posts
All those folks who fall through the cracks will immediately be picked up by the gazillions of private charities who exist to spring into action on behalf of the general welfare here in Merka. It's a slam-dunk
No, we should allow the government to establish everyone's wages according to who they vote for. Libertarians should make the most money.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
A small increase in minimum wage would be an economy stimulant, no?
Actually, I think this has merit. After how many years of redistributing weath from middle class tax payers to the wealthy/corporations/banks, paying a minimum wage that was actually superior to unemployment would have net positive affect.

Of course we could continue to prop up oil/corn farmers/banks/GM/the richest 3% as these policies have been very good to oil/corn farmers/banks/GM/the richest 3%.

I'd wager a national 10/hr minimum wage would work. Or we could continue to use public funds to prop up oil/corn farmers/banks/GM/the richest 3%.

All you nanny state whiners, look who is the biggest right wing recipient of nanny state money.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Make the national minimum wage $25/hour and the economy will immediately recover because so many people who were poor will all of a sudden have lots of money to spend.

This idea is flawless.
Could you explain how lowering the minimum wage would create jobs?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I doubt it.

But I could explain how printing up a trillion dollars in stimulus money would create jobs. That idea also, is flawless.
Wasn't the question I asked .

·
66,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, where were we with this discussion? My question still stands.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Who will pick the crops in the fields at 2 bucks an hour..?.I don't think that any mercans will...so the store shelves go bare and the food rots in the fields..or you pay everyone a living wage so that all may live a basic normal life....or do we just keep the huge young population base poor ..and/or trying to find another way to make a hidden buck or 2..

Should they get into the new "soon to be illegal" flavoured vaping market ?

Canada is well on the road to a fair and increasing minimum wage..thank God..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts