Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E300d
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying depo headlights for a 1997 e300d. I have searched all the previous posts about how bad the light quality. It seems that unless you spend about $1,000 for replacement projectors and ballasts the lighting is not that good. If I use h7 bulbs and h1 bulbs in the fog lights, am I going to be Hellen Keller driving down the road at night? Is the light quality really that bad? Thanks for any help. Chris.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
improvement in light quality for your car (in order of cost)....

- reflector based factory HID ($800 used, $1500+ new)
- Depo clear lens, plus E55 HID, plus ballasts, plus bulbs ($900)

none (none) of the Taiwan/aftermarket lights will improve over stock lighting.
you may want to consider a premium halogen bulb, eg Silverstar, which will
give you slight improvement in brightness

none of the HID options above will give you auto leveling unless your car
came equipped with them.

....my opinion....natch

·
Registered
99 E430 Sport
115 Posts
slybydesignw210 said:
if you down mind me asking, what is the stock lighting that the 98 E320 comes with?
stocks are halogen if thats what your asking,

also getting silverstar are not necessarily brighter, it may appear brighter but it wont reflect more light back to the drivers eye compared to a regular halogen bulb.

honestly if you want brighter viewing while driving just keep the fogs lights on while your driving.if you do a headlight conversion it gets pretty expensive if you don't know what your doing. sometimes you have to know where to place the ballast and what not in the correct position to maintain it from having any vibration and moister. That helps it last longer.

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Totalfixation said:
stocks are halogen if thats what your asking,

also getting silverstar are not necessarily brighter, it may appear brighter but it wont reflect more light back to the drivers eye compared to a regular halogen bulb.

honestly if you want brighter viewing while driving just keep the fogs lights on while your driving.if you do a headlight conversion it gets pretty expensive if you don't know what your doing. sometimes you have to know where to place the ballast and what not in the correct position to maintain it from having any vibration and moister. That helps it last longer.
Thank you, from what I hear, or stock lighting is brighter than the depo upgrades, if this is so I would much rather replace the lense only or wet sand the front. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
99 E430 Sport
115 Posts
also give this a try before you buy a new lense
Get 1000 grid sand paper ($2.90 for 5 sheets)
And 2000 grid sand paper ($2.90 for 5 sheets) from Auto store or Homedepot.

1. Start w/ 1000 sand paper with water (must sand it wet)
2. wash off~
3. proceed w/ 2000 grid w/ water (must sand it wet and lots elbow grease and make sure all surface feel smooth)
4. Wash off~
5. Apply Meguiar's PlastX ($5.25 a bottle at Pepboy)

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Totalfixation said:
also give this a try before you buy a new lense
Get 1000 grid sand paper ($2.90 for 5 sheets)
And 2000 grid sand paper ($2.90 for 5 sheets) from Auto store or Homedepot.

1. Start w/ 1000 sand paper with water (must sand it wet)
2. wash off~
3. proceed w/ 2000 grid w/ water (must sand it wet and lots elbow grease and make sure all surface feel smooth)
4. Wash off~
5. Apply Meguiar's PlastX ($5.25 a bottle at Pepboy)
Yeah, Im excited about trying this, I have a full bottle of Meguiar's Plastx plus two other bottles of lense cleaner, just need to get the sand paper. Plus I have two types of polishers once the job is done.

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
FWIW, I got the Silverstars a few months ago and I am very pleased with them. I can't say for certain if I get more light or not, but the lighting "feels" better.

When I pass other cars on the interstate, I often look to their side and see how much light they're getting. I would say that I'm getting better illumination than 95% of the cars on the road.

·
Registered
1997 E300d
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help. What I am wondering if I get a set from Depo, and put in hologen, or H7 bulbs, how will it compare to stock? I am not looking for an improvement over stock, just want to update the look of the car without be blind at night. THanks for any help.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
I think the degradation in quality vs OEM is severe. The beam is broken and
has poor spread. In MBWorld's w203 section someone had posted picture
of this. i'll try to locate it for viewing here.

ahh....found it. my experience with Depo halogen projector and H7 was
very similar to the photo below. poor quality control....poor R&D. both
the projector and projector lens were POORLY designed.

·
Registered
96' W210 & 10' W212
194 Posts
Which bulb do you recommend for HID converted projectors?
I forgot which ones I have but the light output is not up to par with what I am seeing out there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
Depo conversion is over rated

Those depo conversions are so over rated. Not worth the money + time

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
Which bulb do you recommend for HID converted projectors?
if you're using HID projector, then natch, the bulb to use would be D2S.

if you're using HID kit (rebased HID bulb) to fit into the halogen projector,
I think the results are dangerous and ill advised.

Those depo conversions are so over rated. Not worth the money + time
I concur....if you're referring to Depo headlight converted using HID kit. I strongly
disagree if an OEM HID projectors are used.

·
Registered
96' W210 & 10' W212
194 Posts
raymond- said:
if you're using HID projector, then natch, the bulb to use would be D2S.
Raymond, I believe I have the D2S at this time but the light output does not look very good. Are there specific brands that you can recommend?

TIA

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
OV - I would offer sticking with the OEM brands eg Osram, Phillips. Even so,
if these bulbs were simply inserted into a projector designed for halogen, the
chances are high that the focal point, the lens/bowl design are so poorly made
that even with a premium bulb, the light will still suck....in terms of beam pattern
and coverage (as oppose to brightness).

·
Registered
1997 E300d
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, that beam pattern on the top pick is terrible. Somebody was/is selling a used depo healight set (see for sale forum) and the lense was really foggy and looked like 10 yr old lights.

I just ordered a set of depos with HID for low beams off ebay, something tells me that I will not be that happy. I really don't care about having a blue/white light, I just want something to bring a 10 yr old Mercedes alittle more current. It is a shame that they don't make angular mirrored headlights with clear glass/plastic that could use a standard bulb and not projector. That way we could improve on the appearance on the headlights without giving up being able to see at night. I will post my experience with the ebay Depo and HID lights.

·
Registered
'10 E550 & '10 GL450
52 Posts
OceanView said:
Raymond, I believe I have the D2S at this time but the light output does not look very good. Are there specific brands that you can recommend?

TIA
I would recommend if you don't mind, is MTEC. I just installed them on my '02 E430 and they look fantastic.

·
Registered
'10 E550 & '10 GL450
52 Posts
raymond- said:
I think the degradation in quality vs OEM is severe. The beam is broken and
has poor spread. In MBWorld's w203 section someone had posted picture
of this. i'll try to locate it for viewing here.

ahh....found it. my experience with Depo halogen projector and H7 was
very similar to the photo below. poor quality control....poor R&D. both
the projector and projector lens were POORLY designed.

I don't know if any one else noticed, but those are two different light bulbs in the headlight assembly. The one on the left is halogen and the one on the right is xenon. Even though it's a bad comparison and the xenon is probably either low quality xenon or a high output (12,000K) lamp. In that case it's really not that bad of an output compared to the halogen next to it. Pictures are very deceiving.

·
Registered
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
283 Posts
NCJETSKIER said:
Wow, that beam pattern on the top pick is terrible. Somebody was/is selling a used depo healight set (see for sale forum) and the lense was really foggy and looked like 10 yr old lights.

I just ordered a set of depos with HID for low beams off ebay, something tells me that I will not be that happy. I really don't care about having a blue/white light, I just want something to bring a 10 yr old Mercedes alittle more current. It is a shame that they don't make angular mirrored headlights with clear glass/plastic that could use a standard bulb and not projector. That way we could improve on the appearance on the headlights without giving up being able to see at night. I will post my experience with the ebay Depo and HID lights.
Yes, they're that bad.

As the matter of fact, it's the same lightsource at both side, just that the projector produce hot-spot, so you have random light beam all over the place, some brighter than other.

The aftermarket headlight, while bring look of the car to current, also bring light output back to stone age (candle light ? :)). Putting a set of Xenon ballast & bulb into it (even OEM one) wouldn't fix the problem either, since the aweful light output is mostly caused by the projector & lens themselve. The solution for the problem is to replace the projector & lens first. A projector & lens is as important to the headlight as lens to camera, it controls how light is distributed. Imagine using a really good film on a crappy camera lens: you will still get crappy picture. Same go w/ projector headlight. However, once it's done right, nothing could beat it. It makes OEM reflector xenon look like halogen.

All aftermarket headlight, regardless of brand, have one thing in common: light output is awefully awefully aweful !!!. Optical engineering is not that simple (just as complex as tire design: easy to start, hard to get good result). One of the reason most car manufacture go to Hella or Valeo when it comes to projector headlight.

There've been lot of people who spent tons of money to fix this POS light problem. It's all depend on what you priority are, and where you live & driving time. If quality of lighting is important to you, either stick with OEM Xenon, or go w/ Depo, but replace the entire projector & light source system.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e50-e55-amg/1303248-depo-headlights-xenon-projector-retrofit.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts