Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have the Command Navigation Unit in you car? It looks cool but how useful and practically is it? I lived in a small college town south of Buffalo and I doubt I will ever need it. I own a 2002 E55( with K2a option) I just made an inquiry with my service advisor about possibly acquiring a Command unit to retrofit my car. I need fellow E-class owners to give me some pros and cons in this matter. Many thanks!!!<p>208-20-34-39.netsync.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Depends...

I like it because I'm directionally challenged and the fact that the console looks a lot better with a screen in the middle.<br> <br> How much would a retrofit cost ? <p>gk.un.org

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Depends...

My service advisor will getting back to me tomorrow. I read some where in this forum that the car is already pre-wired and so it should not be too difficult to install. I would also need a new bird-eye maple console plate. The cost of a Command unit when ordering the car is about $2000. So my guess is it should not cost over $2500( hopefully not)<p>208-20-34-39.netsync.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cost...

Brace yourself... The cost of the COMAND unit alone will be close if not exceeding $4000.00 ... Let us know..<p>ca.216.202.172.104.gtecablemodem.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a fun thing to look at at times and I do like the screen in the panel just for appearance sake. I live in new orleans and use the nav unit about 1/wk seriously. It is nice if you know where you're going because at times the directions are really not quite clear, but still fun. Also, a very egocentric attitude is either created or enhanced by the ability to see yourself and where you are at any moment. It actually is handy if you go off the listed roads and just sort of use the map to guide you toward a marked highway. It's a nice toy; I don't think it's worth alot of money, but the'what the hell attitude' is probably what got you, me and everyone else intothe e55s.<p>cx343901-b.mcity1.la.home.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out Alpine

Alpine has a two part system...the DVD based GPS that goes in the trunk (only one disk covers whole US verses the multiple CD's required with COMMAND) and a DIN sized unit that fits in the compartment above the ashtray. The screen actually slides out and then tips up to view...slick design. I think that makes it a neater installation than the factory setting...no-one will know you have it until you flip it out. The downside of all this cool stuff is $$$$...I think the GPS is $2k and the display unit is another $2K. I am still debating whether I want to spend almost $5k (estimate with install) for a neat gadget that I'll only use once in a while. I guess you can also justify it since it can play DVD movies too so it can be a purchase for the 'kids'...<p>tmp20.frankel-group.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not very easily done!

I have an '01E55. I asked the service advisor about retrofitting the command system and they didn't have a clue. I then wrote to MB and they didn't have a clue either. They suggested getting an aftermarket unit. I have an Alpine CVA1000 system on my ML. It lacks coverage in rural areas except for interstates, US highways, and larger state highways. The coverage is great in major metro areas though. I'm curious to see what you find out about retrofitting though. Let us know what you find out. I hope you have more success than I did. <br> Rich<br> '01 E55 Black/Charcoal<p>pm6-32.buggs.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Not very easily done!

there are some areas in New Orleans , some really long streets that are not covered and when we were in winston salem, nc. there were some streets also not noted. Rural areas seem to only have the really major routes, but that's helpful at times.<br> But basically a fun toy sometimes.<p>cx343901-b.mcity1.la.home.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that COMAND is best you can actually get.<br> The thing is that it is not much better than<br> the competition, but that it is very integrated<br> with all the car subsystems and all extra<br> accessories you may have or add later - telephone,<br> cd changer, navi, voice drive, teleaid - all<br> in the one box. Plus, buttons on the steering<br> wheel (you can have them if your car is<br> post-1999 (i believe) and it does have<br> 'interior CAN' network and connection with<br> secondary display in the instrument cluster.<br> There's no other system which will offer you<br> that.<br> <br> Dealer will charge you almost twice as list<br> price when ordering the car, so consider buying<br> used unit - there are many available (i've seen<br> them on ebay many times, sometimes as low<br> as $1000-$1500, here in PL was even an offer<br> of head unit, bose amp, gps antenna, cdc, all<br> for ~$2000 - from a crashed car).<br> <br> go get it<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Check out Alpine

Ambisonx..<br> Nice Alpine system you got there<br> <br> That is the top-of the line F#1 system ..<br> <br> Very nice..<br> BTW I notice that you have that AMG shift knob with AMG round logo..(Do you happened to have the part number for it..?) or better yet if you could give me some info of the place where I can it, it would be great..<br> <br> Regardz,<br> <br> J Irwan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hate my command nav system. CL500 '03. I want to rip it out and replace it. The lexus is light years ahead. Even the honda accords is better.

Anyone have any westcoast shops that might be able to replace the navi?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts