c230
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to know if a chip is needed to work with the asp pulley

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The stock chip will work with the ASP pulley. Powerchips may or may not have a chip opt...

The stock chip will work with the ASP pulley. Powerchips may or may not have a chip optimized for use with a pulley. Their web site is confusing on this issue. Kleemann is working with a chip tuner on a chip for use with a pulley even though the kleemann pulley is no longer sold in North America.

·
Registered
C 270 CDi
7 Posts
Get a chip.......

These are just my thoughts.
I got a 230SLK in 98 and had a Kleemann pulley fitted, filter, ,removed cat, adjusted fuel and a full AMG kit. It started by pushing out 171kw Weeeeeeeeeee. Aftet about a year I sent it in again (Lose of power)it was pushing out the standard 145Kw. What we finally established is that the ECU could'nt compensate for the extra O2, boost etc and had adjusted back to normal to protect to engine. We were running 92, but when we ran 97, after about 60miles the car was pushing 170kw again. We added a Uni-Chip (piggy back) unit were we remapped the O2/fuel levels for 92ron by bypassing the ECU and it performed like a dream. My pulley for my C Coupe M111 lands this week. I'm fitting eibach springs, brabus wheels, lorinser body kit "AND MY ECU IS GOING BACK TO POWERCHIP!!!!" so they can remap it for the ASP pulley.
But thats just me.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I've been running a pulley kit for about a year and half, ran dynos when I started, ran ...

I've been running a pulley kit for about a year and half, ran dynos when I started, ran dynos as recently as a few months ago and I see no deterioration in power and I have the stock ECU, same on friends coupes with a pulley kit (even though it's not the same pulley kit as mine). Same with Linh on the R170 forum who has been running a pulley on his 1999 SLK230 for about 40K miles with no reduction in power and he did dyno runs at first and then a year later, same output. Linh sells a kit to go with the pulley on the older SLK's that includes some stuff to make it right like a different fuel pressure regulator, cooler spark plugs and a MAF sensor relocation kit. Yes, you can compensate and fix this with ECU programming but the that's a matter of choice. This is not needed on the new SLK's or C230K 2.3L motors though.

Can't wait to see what improvement you get with both, the pulley and the chip on your C-Coupe.

If you were right about the power going back to stock then I would disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour the ECU will be reset and your power would return if what you say is true, if it doesn't, it's not the ECU. Keep in mind that on a car that old the key sensors like O2, MAF and MAP are getting dirty and weak and may not be reading as accurately as when new although not bad enough to trigger a check engine light and you can have carbon buildup over the years that causes pinging that would require higher octane fuel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts