Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking to replace my steering box. I had another thread where someone posted one for sale but didn't get back so I bought a used one. It supposedly came off of a 85 380sl but had a confusing part number.

It's labeled as a : 123 461 0205. This part number corresponds to a 88 - 01 300 SE. The seller swears it came from a 380 sl and sent me a photo of the car and the VIN plate as well as offered to return my money. Is there a way to cross reference numbers that could work but are just labeled differently?? I'd hate to return it not knowing what else it may fit.
Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, think I answered my own question. I could not make out the actual part number of the side.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,587 Posts
So I've been looking to replace my steering box. I had another thread where someone posted one for sale but didn't get back so I bought a used one. It supposedly came off of a 85 380sl but had a confusing part number.

It's labeled as a : 123 461 0205. This part number corresponds to a 88 - 01 300 SE. The seller swears it came from a 380 sl and sent me a photo of the car and the VIN plate as well as offered to return my money. Is there a way to cross reference numbers that could work but are just labeled differently?? I'd hate to return it not knowing what else it may fit.
Thanks,
Frank
Now I am confused. It was labeled but you could not read it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was numbered on the top where the steering coupler goes. There was a 116 461 04 01 part number on the side that was obscured by grease and rust that made it hard to see at first.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,587 Posts
The 116 number is not a part number. It is a casting number for the case.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
It was numbered on the top where the steering coupler goes. There was a 116 461 04 01 part number on the side that was obscured by grease and rust that made it hard to see at first.
The one I pulled from parting out a 1981 380SL had those same casting numbers: 116 461 04 01

My Steering Box looks like this - a heavy piece of metal:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Carl, outstanding box gallery. You got me psyched to go out and shoot my box. This one is out of my 1987 560SL. If you think this is heavy, the box out of my Lincoln weighs 55 pounds; the rebuilder recommends crates as UPS had delivered several empty cardboard boxes to him.

Yes Frank, you have the right box. Benz recommends single-use mounting bolts but I think you will be fine with the original screws and a dash of threadlocker.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh boy thanks. With all the numbers I just wanted to be sure before I had the shop pull the old one and declare it incorrect.
Thanks again for the photos as well.
Good weekend,
Frank

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Carl, outstanding box gallery. You got me psyched to go out and shoot my box. This one is out of my 1987 560SL. If you think this is heavy, the box out of my Lincoln weighs 55 pounds; the rebuilder recommends crates as UPS had delivered several empty cardboard boxes to him.

Yes Frank, you have the right box. Benz recommends single-use mounting bolts but I think you will be fine with the original screws and a dash of threadlocker.
You and those flat rate USPS boxes :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
There is a company in Las Vegas that rebuilds these. I bought a steering box off a forum member last year who had recently sold his 380SL. It turned out to be a rebuilt from the aforementioned company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts