Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy an 05 E320, was in a minor front end collision. I have parts in stock and I could easily fix the front end on this car.

I've only seen pictures of this car. Thought I would find out more about air bags before I go look at it in person.

I don't think the air bags on this car have deployed, but if they have , is the car totaled and unable to be reset? Or is there some other safety device that tightens up the seat belts upon collision?

If the air bags have been deployed, does this mean the car is locked out and simply will not start? Is there anything I can tell about air bag history with an OBD II scan tool? Or does the instrument cluster have an info?

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think but honestly I can't quite decipher what you said. Are you saying it can be done with a crash data cleanup? What is a no pingpong obd job? What is an sds?

Thanks

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,222 Posts
SDS (star) in one and only diagnostic software which is fully compatible because - it is made by MB. All other universal (chinese pingpong) readers are just guessing fault codes not no mention they all cant even acceess all MB modules. Crash data is something which prevents car to start, but it is not necessarily triggered (in fact I am not familiar at all with crash events, never diagnostic it myself).

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks @mersum1es . I understand the car runs, so that's a good sign. I may look at it in person. Thanks for the info re SDS (STAR)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
What is your goal for such car?
With "normal" used cars selling for $3-4k why take such project?
Putting it back on the road will take 1/2 of its potential value just on inspection fees, while new airbags are not cheap. .

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,764 Posts
Nonsense. Generic foxwell or icarsoft can do that.
iCarSoft != generic "pingpong". iCarSoft is actually decent. However, SDS is the better tool, overall, to work on any M-B of this generation.

What is your goal for such car?
With "normal" used cars selling for $3-4k why take such project?
Putting it back on the road will take 1/2 of its potential value just on inspection fees, while new airbags are not cheap. .
Actually, our E320 CDI is a salvage/rebuilt title. Turns out it was in a low-speed fender-bender. Airbags were not deployed. The damage to the car really was superficial. Reason the insurance company "totaled" it out is because the auto body estimator quoted over US $10,000 to repair the car. I bought the car for a good price--far lower than the $8,000 that CDI's normally went for at that time--and put about $1,000 in parts into it. The car runs great.

The benefit, for us, of the "rebuilt" title is that the annual taxes on the car are very low, due to its low resale value. Since we have no intention of selling this car any time soon, but instead intend to keep and drive it, this is very good for us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts