Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know MB merged with Chrsyler. Is all Mercedes built in Germany???? Any model being built America?? <br> <br> I'm interested in C240. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: is all mercedes built in Germany???? - No

If you are buying a right hand drive C240 (you don't say where you are), it will be built in South Africa.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure?

I am not saying you are wrong, but I am just making sure. When I toured the factory in Sindelfingen, they were making right hand drive E-Classes right along with all the other ones. They were making C's there too, but I can't remember about the drives. I guess the C's are different....???

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Are you sure?

I know my C32 came from SA - there was a strike which delayed production.<br> <br> Because of this I did some research (to make sure it wasn't dealer BS) and discovered that RHD C-class are made there, including AMG. Engines etc shipped from Germany.<br> <br> I can't say they ALL are - I believe the C class wagon may be built in Germany, but the vast majority of saloons are built at a plant in London SA.<br> <br> Maybe they can adjust production according to demand?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I was on a trip to Stuttgart in November 2001 & during the trip visited the Singelfingen plant and toured the C-Class production line where they were assembling both right & left hand drive saloons & coupe's.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, not the C240.

Many of the C240's you get in the U.S. were made in Brazil. Check the sticker on the window. As far as the C240, don't do it unless you want a 6 speed. The auto is weak and the tranny hunts too much. Pay the 3k extra and get the C320, a much more fun car to drive or go with the C230 Coupe that is almost as fast as the C320 for 10k less. I know you'll say the C320 is $6k more but the C320 comes with Automatic, Bose, Power Seats. Also, don't be fooled by the premium leather option. The only difference between that and the standard leather is the seat side bolsters are leather also and you get wrinkled leather door panels instead of smooth. So for $1,400 you get an extra patch of leather.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Many right hand drive C-class are made in East London, South Africa. South Africa has been making Mercedes cars since the late fifties or early sixties including W107 SL's, W129's W123's W124's and many, many more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts