Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old SL500 with ABC. As soon as the warranty ran out and I had only 16,000 miles on it, I was told by the dealer that I had to replace the 2 leaking front shocks for about $4,000. It was extra expensive because it was part of the ABC system. I have heard other horror stories about costly repairs on the ABC system. My dealer says the new 2013 SL550 does not have the ABC. Does it have some other super sophisticated, very expensive to repair, ride system?

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
At mbusa.com, on the latest SL, under performance, it reads
"Control with composure: Suspensions to suit your style
With rigid yet lightweight components, the SL's multilink suspension teams up semi-active electronically adaptive damping to sharpen handling while smoothing the ride. The uncanny handling of Active Body Control (ABC) is optional."

Definition of UNCANNY

a : seeming to have a supernatural character or origin : eerie, mysterious
b : being beyond what is normal or expected : suggesting superhuman or supernatural powers <an uncanny sense of direction>
chiefly Scottish : severe, punishing

In other words
"if you want ABC, pay more for it now and get punished later for repairs."

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a CL600 with ABC and it was amazing how flat it kept such a big car. My R231 SL doesn't have it but I don't notice any major swaying. I bet the ABC option flattens things even more but I think one of the early magazines didn't like the option.

These new fangled technologies are really cool but we pay a price in maintaining them. The CLs were plagued with expensive ABC repairs but I was lucky to not have any while owning them. And imagine what an SL mechanical roof repair might cost!

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
Active Body Control (ABC) is an optional on SL550

AMG-calibrated Active Body Control (ABC) is standard on SL 63 & SL 65

1 - 5 of 5 Posts