Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a car to buy. I really like early 1990's Mercedes . I'm wanting to buy a 1991 560 SEC coupe. But I always hear these 'stories' that older mercedes break down all the time and have all kinds of problems and when it comes time to get them fixed its alot of doe. Plus it cost alot just for an oil change. And that is very hard to get parts and such? I want to buy one with 50,000 miles or so and restore it to original condition. What is your opinion on the questions I asked? please help me make a wise decision. Also if you know a website that would have new parts for 560 secs let me know please. Also what was original retail? Help me out by emailing to at [email protected]<br> <br> F.L. Sutton

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have no personal experience with that model, but I have owned many cars in my long life and NEVER been disappointed by any of the Mercedes I have had-- in fact I found the maintenance costs to be much higher on new Subarus then old Mercedes! Yes, oil changes can be a headache, but if you buy your own filtres at the parts store first and look around, you can usually find an honest oli-change place (you'll want to do that anyway-- far too many of them don't actually lube all the places they're supposed to!).<br> For specifics on that model, ask Ed... he knows everything!<br> Good Luck,<br> Rex

·
Registered
1991 560 mercedes sec
15 Posts
560 sec 1991

yes very good cars.... shape wise they are the business.... i am so glad i bought my 560 sec which i have had for 6 years now.... click sec shop for buying tips online....... one of the finest s classes ever built..... some amg spec models are truly amazing..... :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
yes very good cars.... shape wise they are the business.... i am so glad i bought my 560 sec which i have had for 6 years now.... click sec shop for buying tips online....... one of the finest s classes ever built..... some amg spec models are truly amazing..... :)
+1 i love my Euro, bext highway car i've driven. Look for an AMG or euro model. If i were to buy another w126 coupe a 560sec AMG would be it. find one that has AMG stamped on the engine...

as for maintenance every 100k you'll want to do a timing chain/headgasket, your first 100k i'd do the water pump and valve stems just to get them outta the way. The w126 models have real tough engines but need some new rubber bits like vacuum hoses/bushings/ other rubber hoses.

Parts are pretty expensive so aim to DIY and don't buy cheap brands, the nicer parts last a lot longer..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts