Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic said he would get it done for that price, and that includes everything.<br> <br> Is that a good price or what?<br> <br> The dealer says $3000.<br> <br> MP

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one can really answer your question without more information. What year SL? Single or double chain? Replacement or conversion (not a conversion at that price)? What is 'everything'?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is an '84 with the double chain.

Everything means all necessary components is regards to the timing chain.<br> <br> I pulled the valve cover and the chain seems to only move about 3 milimeters if you pull up on it above the sprocket.<br> <br> My mechanic says it still should be changed.<br> <br> MP

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: My car is an '84 with the double chain.

I think 'everything' from the mechanic means timing chain, tensioner, 3 upper timing chain guide rails, and a timing chain guide rail at the tensioner since the whole set costs from $400 to $500 (including 5 sprockets, 3 upper and 2 lower rails, a tensioner rail, 2 O-rings between timing cover to engine block, and an oil pan gasket). Your car is 84 380SL that means your chain is double row which is good. 'Everything' from your mechanic cost around $150. Does he charge you $500 for labor (4 to 5 hrs max)? That is not a good price. Look around for a cheaper labor.<br> <br> KT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts