Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz C240,W202
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and in general to auto world too. I'm planning to get a used car in Germany. It's going to be 2003 E series. I need an economical car, so I'm looking for diesel engined ones. I've found some 220 and 270 CDIs. The 220s seem to have a fair fuel consumtion that suits my needs. But I'm worried if this large engine will be sufficient to pull this big body that E series have. Can you please suggest if I should take 270 or 220. Thank you.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,710 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The required power in vehicles is very personal thing. Some say that 350HP in AMG models is not adequate and do some modifications to increase it.
In my life I did own 300 hp BMW and I did own 21 HP Fiat126. Sure BMW was more enjoyable, but Fiat was way cheaper and got me to the destination as well.
I live in the mountains and owning lot of cars I figured out that for 2 tons car I need at least 130 hp to be able to make the grades without going into crawl. The 173 HP we have in E300DT is very comfortable and I can even accelerate on the grades. 90 hp in VW Jetta tdi was making the grades just fine as well.
You should check the hp ratings for those engine but per my knowledge 220cdi is having at least my personal minimum, so unless you are one of those power freaks, any of those engine will be comfortable for average driving.
Smaller engines are also way cheaper and easier to DIY

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz C240,W202
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.
The required power in vehicles is very personal thing. Some say that 350HP in AMG models is not adequate and do some modifications to increase it.
In my life I did own 300 hp BMW and I did own 21 HP Fiat126. Sure BMW was more enjoyable, but Fiat was way cheaper and got me to the destination as well.
I live in the mountains and owning lot of cars I figured out that for 2 tons car I need at least 130 hp to be able to make the grades without going into crawl. The 173 HP we have in E300DT is very comfortable and I can even accelerate on the grades. 90 hp in VW Jetta tdi was making the grades just fine as well.
You should check the hp ratings for those engine but per my knowledge 220cdi is having at least my personal minimum, so unless you are one of those power freaks, any of those engine will be comfortable for average driving.
Smaller engines are also way cheaper and easier to DIY
Thank you very much for your answer. I am indeed a power freak but I'm not looking for a car that will satisfy the giant in me. Instead I'm looking for one that I can use for my regular, daily needs, like driving to work, taking my family to countryside for a picnic. Why I'm concerned is because some of my friends have Cs with 2.0 engines and when they turn the air conditioner on I can feel that the engine has difficulty in pulling the car. And considering that E's have a bigger body than C's I suspect that 2.2 engine (+diesel, not gasoline) can be insufficient. 2003 E 220 CDI is 150 HP.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,710 Posts
Gasoline engines are different animals. With much lower torque they need to downshift 2 gears for highway passing, while diesel pushes right out without gear change.
On our 3l diesel I am displaying AC pressure on central LCD and even seeing the pressure changes when compressor engage I can never feel any change in engine work and I am pretty sensitive for mechanics.
150 HP in this car should still give you decent acceleration and hill climbing.
Again I am really impressed with 174HP in our car, what is heavier than 220. From what I know cdi also have much lower turbo lag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts